Stonesoup reader, Rachel added an excellent point in the comments of my recent weekly blog post on tips for a ‘no worries’ Thanksgiving & Christmas.
In Rachel’s words…
“I would like to suggest that the menu need not have the straight-up traditional item. For example, I find pecan pie pretty fussy to make, but pecan bars are easier in my opinion.”
I couldn’t agree more.
In fact that’s pretty much the whole approach I’ve taken in ‘Your No Worries Thanksgiving & Christmas’ ebook…
Case in point one of my favourite recipes from the book – no bake pecan ‘pie’ which can be pulled together when you have a spare 10 minutes then left in the fridge until it’s time to serve.
no bake pecan ‘pie’
250g (1 cup) whipping cream (35% milk fat)
200g (7oz) dark chocolate
200g (7oz) whole pecans
1. Line a loaf tin with baking paper so the sides are covered.
2. Place cream in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer.
3. Meanwhile, roughly chop the chocolate into chunks and place in a bowl.
4. Pour hot cream over the chocolate and allow to stand for 5 mins so it melts.
5. Stir until smooth then pour into the prepared pan. Arrange pecans on top, only using the best looking ones. Save the rest for another use.
6. Refrigerate until set – about 2 hours or more.