a spanish inspired salad & thankyou

tomato & bread salad

I feel a little weird at the moment. Here I am in the beautiful city of Barcelona, it’s freezing outside, there are pretty lights and decorations everywhere. My diary tells me it’s 4 sleeps until Santa comes. But it doesn’t feel like Christmas. It’s just not warm enough.

I digress. I didn’t drop by to whinge today. I wanted to share with you a brilliant little salad inspired by the cornerstones of Catalan cuisine – tomato, bread and olive oil. A little salad that is a pinch to make and that will be perfect thing for warm weather and an abundance of ripe ripe tomatoes and some day old bread. Although I had it for lunch today and it was delicious. I don’t think anyone told the tomatoes here that it’s Winter – super ripe and flavoursome.

I also wanted to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and all the best for the New Year. It’s been a big year for stonesoup and I really appreciate all the support from my reader friends. THANKYOU.

Big Love

tomato & bread salad
catalan inspired bread & tomato salad
serves 4 as a side dish

I’ve given you the minimalist, bare bones version of this salad. Feel free to embellish.

A little jamon might be nice (if there’s one thing I’ve learned in the last month it’s that jamon is always a good idea). A small handful of basil or parsley or even some rocket might be good for some greenery. It’s up to you really.

8 medium very ripe tomatoes
1/2 loaf rustic bread, preferably sourdough and preferably a day old
1T sherry vinegar
3T extra virgin olive oil

Chop tomato into large chunks and place in a bowl, squash gently with a spoon to release their juice. Tear bread into chunks a similar size to the tomato and add to tomatoes.

Add vinegar and oil and toss to combine. Taste and season. Allow to stand for 10mins but no longer than an hour.

pan amb tomaquet
pa amb tomaquet
Catalan bread rubbed with fresh tomato & olive oil

____________________________________________

To celebrate achieving the grand old age of 4, stonesoup is closing for a well earned break.

I look forward to sharing more recipes and stories with you from the 4th of January when I’ll be back in Oz with some big news for the New Year.

and for those of you who missed it – all the details of my elBulli dining extrvaganza are over HERE.

Zarah December 22, 2009 at 4:24 am

10 years ago, I was in Barcelona getting ready to fly home to visit my family for the holidays (I was studying abroad in Pamplona during the 99-00 school year). Does El Corte Ingles still have a big Christmas display? The year I was there it was a winter wonderland called “Cortilandia” – not sure if that’s there every year or just that year. Merry Christmas!

jules December 22, 2009 at 5:20 am

hi zarah
I walked past el corte ingles and they had a lovely display but I didn’t slow down to see if it was called cortilandia. hopefully someone else can help us out.

hope you have a lovely christmas as well

Renee December 22, 2009 at 6:32 am

I hope you have a great Christmas Jules, thanks for a great year of recipes and inspiration

kathryn December 22, 2009 at 7:42 am

You’re right Jules, that is a cracking salad for summer in Australia. The tomatoes here are just getting really good. Merry Christmas and thank you for all the lovely food you’ve provided through Stonesoup this year. Best wishes for 2010.

Sas December 22, 2009 at 8:16 am

Hey Jul,
The tomato salad looks yummy, especially seeing as it is one of my favourite things to eat! Hope the rest of your trip is loads of fun, and look forward to seeing you when you get back. Little Jack is now walking, and cant wait to show you how cleaver your nephew is…
Merry Christmas,
Love Sas xoxo

jules December 22, 2009 at 8:25 am

can’t wait to see jack walking sas. how exciting!
love youxx

thanks kathryn
glad to hear the tomatoes will be in top form when I get home
hope your 2010 is brilliant as well

thanks renee
so glad you’ve found something here to inspire you. hope you have a lovely christmas as well

barbara December 22, 2009 at 9:32 am

Have a fabulous Christmas Jules.

jules December 22, 2009 at 10:56 pm

thanks barbara
hope you have a lovely christmas as well

Samantha December 22, 2009 at 11:02 am

Hey Jules,
Your blog is the best thing that has happened to me all year – foodwise =).
Thanks for all the great inspiration and fantastic recipes.
Look forward to reading more in the new year!

jules December 22, 2009 at 10:58 pm

thanks samantha
so glad stonesoup has been an inspiration
I’m really looking forward to the new year as well

Johanna December 22, 2009 at 11:46 am

your el bulli write up was wonderful – hope you enjoy your Christmas in Barcelona – I am sure it is magical with lots of lights and warm foodie treats – and best wishes for another year of stone soup

jules December 22, 2009 at 10:56 pm

thanks johanna
and glad you enjoyed the elBulli write up – to be honest I didn’t do the meal justice – it was just so good.
all the best for your christmas and new years

CK December 22, 2009 at 5:51 pm

I agree with Samantha, discovering your blog has been one of my foodie highlights of the year, I look forward to every update – checked regularly for the write up of your el Bulli experience – very envious! Bought a couple of copies of your great book too. And am loving learning about some authentic Spanish food, so thank you. Best wishes for the season and safe travels and like all your readers, I am really looking forward to your 2010 instalments.

jules December 22, 2009 at 10:53 pm

CK
that’s the sweetest. thanks so much for your kind words (and for buying the book!). hope you have a lovely christmas as well

green ink December 22, 2009 at 8:20 pm

Merry Christmas Jules – I’ve so enjoyed reading you this year, and loved your writeup of El Bulli. Enjoy the rest of your travels, keep warm :D x

jules December 22, 2009 at 10:52 pm

thanks green ink. will do

Janet December 23, 2009 at 6:30 am

Happy Christmas to you. Sorry to hear you will be leaving Spanish shores. Loved hearing about your El Bulli encounter. Could you take photos there?

jules December 23, 2009 at 7:16 am

thanks janet

I’m sad to be leaving as well. Made sure I drank from the fountain in barcelona so I’ll definitely be returning at some stage.

elBulli were very pro photo – I guess they get it all the time. We didn’t have a camera with us so the staff russled up a disposable camera for us to have our pic taken with ferran. talk about attention to detail. Seriously impressive.

Lynne December 24, 2009 at 11:53 am

Hi there. What a great salad and, as you said, so simple to vary depending on what other salad ingredients or leftover meat etc is on hand. I love recipes like this. I take my meals to work and struggle to find different things that will stand up to the travelling time and that I won’t get bored with.
As some others have mentioned, finding your blog was a lucky day for me.

Wishing you, and everyone, a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

jules December 29, 2009 at 10:24 am

hi lynne
if you’re going to take this to work I’d pack it with the bread on top and then toss a few minutes before you’re ready to eat. if it sits for more than an hour or so the bread absorbs too much tomato juice & dressing and it goes really really mushy – although I guess some people would like that – I wasn’t a big fan when I let the salad sit for too long

Forager December 25, 2009 at 3:37 pm

What a great salad – delicious and uncomplicated. Perfect for post Christmas feasting. And a very merry christmas to you too!

jules December 29, 2009 at 10:01 am

thanks forager
you’re right. a great salad for post christmas feasting and possibly using up some leftover ham?

shane December 25, 2009 at 6:49 pm

Hi, Jules.

Wish u a very merry xmas and happy new year. just for curiosity, how did the euro blind date go?

Also wish you and your blog all the best in new decade !

jules December 29, 2009 at 10:00 am

thanks shane
date was ok but completely overshadowed by the food.
you can read all about it on my restaurant review blog eat|shop|drink

ana December 27, 2009 at 4:29 pm

Season’s greetings. Thank you so much for your blog. It was a wonderful day when I lighted upon it. You have contributed generously and joyously to my kitchen.

Muchas gracias!

jules December 29, 2009 at 9:55 am

pleasure ana
so lovely to hear from people enjoying stonesoup.
all the best for the new year

Conor @ HoldtheBeef January 1, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Wishing you a Happy New Year Jules, and continued blogging (and non-blogging) success :)

jules January 5, 2010 at 11:32 am

thanks conor – all the best for you for the new year as well

Sheryl January 3, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Hi Jules, Happy New Year! So envious of you in Spain. I am cooking your braised steak recipe tonight, smells divine wafting through the house even though it’s hot, barbecue weather!

jules January 5, 2010 at 11:30 am

thanks sheryl
happy new year to you as well.
glad the braised steak is smelling good. my mum would be really happy to hear that

Eliza from Urban Homesteader January 4, 2010 at 6:20 am

Jules,
Enjoy the rest of your trip and Happy New Year. By the way, I wanted to let you know that over at the Urban Homestead I just included your blog in a list of my favorite food web sites. I wish you continued success in 2010!

jules January 5, 2010 at 11:29 am

thanks eliza
all the best for 2010

Dana January 4, 2010 at 11:29 am

Hi Jules! I discovered your blog recently and love love love your recipes. I made this salad over the weekend and it was super easy and super delicious, so thanks! Happy new year!

jules January 5, 2010 at 11:29 am

so glad you enjoyed the salad dana

happy new year to you as well

Adriana January 19, 2010 at 12:55 am

Hey! I’m a catalan girl living in the US, also a food blogger and obviously a foodie… I loved the recipe! made me smile! :) if you haven’t, try bread with tomato and olive oil… grab a ripe tomato, scrub it against the bread and drizzle some olive oil… true goodness!

Adriana January 19, 2010 at 12:56 am

oops! wait! you already tried the bread with tomato! and it looks yummy! i really hope you enjoyed it!