super simple broccoli – the perfect antidote to over-indulging

raw brocoli on wooden chopping board broccoli bowl and frying pan

So it’s the silly season. That time of year when we are all eating and drinking way more than usual. And we still have Christmas and New Years feasting on the horizon.

This week I made a discovery that I think you should at least bookmark for the beginning of January when it’s time to think about detoxing. But between you and me, you might find this recipe comes in handy before then. It sure has been a life saver for me.

You see this week I was lucky enough to eat at the worlds number one restaurant, elBulli. An big food experience in itself. I think I ate my normal daily food intake in the chocolate course alone, and that was after about 30 other courses. Serious indulgence. But the crazy thing was that the very next day, for lunch even, I dined at the number 5 restaurant in the world, el celler de can roca. That’s 6 Michelin stars in less than 24 hours. Yes that’s a lot of rich food.

And while I enjoyed both meals immensely, the first thing I thought of when I got back to the beautiful city of Barcelona, had digested for a while and could actually start thinking about food again, was a big bowl of broccoli. Simple broccoli. Minimalist broccoli. Scorched in bits and still crunchy in others. Green and good for you and ready in minutes.

bowl of broccoli

super simple broccoli

serves 1 as a meal or 2-3 as a side dish

Inspired by Heston Blumenthal via my nutritionist friend Kathryn at Limes & Lycopene and the lovely Luisa at The Wednesday Chef.

This is broccoli at it’s best. Crunchy and fresh in some spots, caramelised and complex in others. It seems like so much more than, well, just broccoli.

The first time I made this was with beautiful fresh broccoli I got from a farmer lady who had set up a stall outside the Santa Caterina markets. All she was selling was broccoli and cauliflower and the long Catalan onions whose name escapes me. Man was that some good broccoli.

To be fair I’ve also made it with broccoli from the normal market and it was still bloody delicious. Not to mention healthy feeling.

If you’re vegan or just not that into butter, feel free to skip the butter and maybe drizzle over just a little of your very best extra virgin olive oil at the end.

You might like to consider serving with a few toasted pinenuts or a softly poached egg – but it is seriously delicious all on it’s own.

It would also make a lovely vegetable accompaniment to the sweet smelling fish-baked-in-a-bag I posted about recently.

1 head broccoli
2T olive oil
1 knob butter
lemon juice, to serve

Preheat a large fying pan on the hottest heat.

Chop the broccoli into even sized mini-trees and then slice the stems into rounds about 5mm (1/4in) thick.

Add oil to pan and when it starts to smoke add the broccoli and cover with a lid or some foil or an oven tray – it’s critical to seal it so the broccoli fries from the bottom but steams at the top.

After 2 minutes, remove the lid, stir and add the butter. Return lid and cook for a further 2 minutes.

Test a piece of broccoli – if it’s tender enough for you remove from the heat. If not cover and keep cooking for another few minutes.

Season and serve hot with a gentle squeeze of lemon.

frying pan of broccoli

_______________________________________________________________

Elsewhere:

5 ingredients. 5 mintues. 5 Holiday Appetizers at Zen Family Habits.

This girl’s in love – a perfect evening at elBulli over at eat|shop|drink.

To see the complete list of prizes for the Menu for Hope – check out tomato. You have until 25th December to get your donations in.

Tiffiny Felix December 19, 2009 at 7:21 am

I love broccoli. It’s so easy and simple to make. Yum :)

jules December 19, 2009 at 7:27 am

couldn’t agree with you more tiffany

Janet December 19, 2009 at 7:52 am

Jules, please!!! I am eating broccoli from the garden every day–but I have never been to El Bulli. Please tell all. Blind date was also minimalist?

jules December 19, 2009 at 8:14 am
Reemski December 19, 2009 at 10:12 am

This is probably in my top 5 of all time recipes. It’s magic.

jennifer December 19, 2009 at 12:14 pm

Love broccoli, and am always happy to find new ways to cook it. Fascinated by your dining experience at ElBulli, so thank you for posting at such a busy time of year. Perhaps it’s better that your blind date was more a happy friendship-thing – I can’t imagine trying to concentrate on eating at the World’s best restaurant with the equivalent of George Clooney sitting opposite! Happy holidays & Merry Christmas.

jules December 19, 2009 at 7:32 pm

thanks reemski
I agree it’s the goods

jennifer
you have a good point there – but I think even if george clooney was across the table it still would have been the food that won my heart that night – it’s pretty powerful

kathryn December 21, 2009 at 7:03 am

Jules, isn’t this a great little recipe? I’ve recommended it to so many people and they’ve all come back happy and impressed.

Particularly men. Not sure what it is about the recipe, that it’s hot, hot cooking; that it’s fast; that the recipe is written so clearly; that it produces a vegetable dish they love? Not sure, but my male friends all rave about it

jules December 21, 2009 at 9:32 pm

It is the best Kathryn – can’t thank you enough for bringing it to my attention

Interesting your comment blokes loving it – I was at the house of one of my mates in Barcelona yesterday and he proudly showed me his broccoli all ready for cooking. All good

Temma December 27, 2009 at 4:30 pm

After reading this, I couldn’t resist running downstairs and cooking the broccoli I had sitting in my ‘fridge. Yum! This may very well be my new favorite way to make broccoli.

jules December 29, 2009 at 9:54 am

that’s great temma
glad to hear I have another convert!

small cabins December 28, 2009 at 7:24 pm

I love broccoli! It is the only green vegetable I eat. I don’t like the rest. It is like I am eating grass. Thanks for this simple recipe!

jules December 29, 2009 at 9:53 am

well if you’re going to choose one green veggie – broccoli would be an excellent choice. but how can you not love asparagus?

abby December 28, 2009 at 8:58 pm

this looks wonderful, i’m gonna have to try it!

jules December 29, 2009 at 9:52 am

hi abby
it’s one of my favourite recipes of the year – enjoy

Jean January 7, 2010 at 1:03 pm

I love anything green – sprouts tops my list! Thank you for sharing this recipe, I have a few heads to cut in my garden soon!

jules January 7, 2010 at 2:05 pm

pleasure jean. it’s now one of my all time favourite vegetable dishes. enjoy

Michele Boyer January 12, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Dear Jules,

I love your photos, your writing and your recipes (not in that order!). I just made the broccoli recipe (it is steaming next to me as I write) and it is my new favorite dish. Thanks so much!! Can’t wait to try some more…..
Best,
Michele

Railing February 23, 2010 at 4:37 am

I like the idea that this is SUPER SIMPLE! This is what food should be about – simple and nutritious.

Suzanne April 28, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Just cooked (and ate) the broccoli. Beautiful…amazed something so simple can taste so good.

La Banane July 7, 2010 at 10:11 am

I have been eating this for months, and just posted a link to this on my blog: http://labanane.tumblr.com/post/778785695/too-hot-to-cook

Thanks for the deliciousness!

mike February 6, 2011 at 3:49 am

I amde this and thought it tasted wonderfully sweet.
Gave a taste to my partner and she said’needs salt’.
Unfair I thought. Would adding salt to the recipe improve it?

jules February 6, 2011 at 8:05 am

mike
great question! I haven’t tried it without salt but seasoning is a really personal thing. If you like it as is then that’s great. If you’re unsure about whether some salt would make it better, take out a small piece and add a little salt and try it. Compare to the unsalted and see which you prefer. Its all about finding what works for your taste buds…

Ash April 4, 2011 at 3:12 pm

This is my go-to now for lunch! It works great for pearl onions and cauliflower too

MVCalog April 10, 2011 at 11:26 am

Love this website. Very committed to five ingredient cooking. Thanks for the inspiration!

jules April 10, 2011 at 11:56 am

thanks MVCalog
Glad to hear I’ve converted you ;)

Ash
I’ll have to try it with onions – brilliant idea –
It’s also great with asparagus and brussels sprouts

Kyle~ blooming tea April 29, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Hi there :) ‘love the broccolli you have here, this not only looks delicious but healthy as well.

jules April 30, 2011 at 1:20 am

thanks kyle
you’re right about that!

Becky (• ?•) March 8, 2012 at 8:44 am

This looks easy to make is it good?

Lisa March 8, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Jules I have never liked broccoli and always added it because I thought I should rather than for taste! OMG I am sitting here typing whilst eating a yummy bowl of broccoli – who would have thought?? Am making the vegetable and white bean stew for dinner – hope its just as yummy.