5 ingredients | simple baking – puddle cookies

puddle cookies-4

Since I came up with the 5 ingredients | 10 minutes idea for simple recipes, I’ve been trying to figure out a way to include some sweet treats under the banner.

But when it comes to baking, there are very few things that can be made in less than a quarter of an hour for the baking part, let alone the mixing and prep work.

So after further consideration I’ve decided to let go of the time limit for baked treats. To keep things simple we’ll stick to the 5 ingredients – and I’ll promise to keep the equipment and cooking times to a minimum.

And do I have a treat for you today – something I discovered via the lovely Heidi over at 101 cookbooks. She calls them ‘puddle cookies’ and the name alone is enough to fall in love with.

After overcoming my cocoa powder snobbery recently with my cocoa brownies, I got quite excited about these cookies. They’re light and crispy on the outside and gooey chocolatey goodness on the inside. With nuts for crunch and bound with just egg whites they’re a perfect way to use up leftover egg whites if you happen to have an ice cream making addiction.

With only 5 ingredients and a straight forward method that requires nothing more than a bowl and a spoon for stirring – we’re talking simple as well.

Oh and did I mention that they’re gluten AND dairy free? My dear old Dad couldn’t get enough.
puddle cookies-3

[5 ingredients | simple baking]
puddle cookies

makes about 9 giant cookies

Inspired by Heidi from 101 cookbooks.

I made mine generously giant sized like Heidi – if you’d prefer a more modest cookie, by all means use smaller spoonfuls.

It judt occurred to me that if you were cooking for someone with nut allergies OR a die heard chocoholic – you could turn these into double choc puddle cookies by substituting in chocolate chips for the nuts. mmm.

155g (5oz or 1 1/2C) roasted & chopped nuts – I used hazelnuts
225g (9oz or 2C) icing (powdered or confectioners) sugar
30g (1oz or 1/3C) cocoa powder
1t vanilla extract
2 egg whites

Preheat oven to 160C (320F).

Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl until well combined.

Spoon into 2 tablespoon piles on 2 baking trays lined with baking paper. Leave heaps of space between – they’re really going to spread.

Bake for 12 – 15 minutes or until they have puffed up and cracked on top. Cool on the tray.

puddle cookies-2

______________________________________________________________

on breadshoes – a review of tetsuyas and your chance to win dinner and a masterclass with the man himself.

I’m ahead in my quest to read 26 books this year. Even thinking of upping it to 50 books. To check on my progress have a look at my now reading page.

jules December 4, 2010 at 7:24 pm

yay rachel
so glad you liked them. can’t take credit for the name – it was all heidi’s idea

chela December 16, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Omg just finished eating one of this cookies and in future I think I’m going to make sure I have a glass of milk in hand to go with them lol! Sooooo good but I don’t think I could eat more than one in a sitting. I only made one small pan first up to see how they came out so I think with the rest of the batter I might make little bit-sized pieces. yum yum yum

jules December 16, 2010 at 2:48 pm

glad you liked them chela
but you’re right the big version is ALOT to eat.

jamie December 21, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Thank you so much for the recipe! My grandmother has high blood sugar levels, so I made a batch where I cut the sugar by half and just dumped the entire mixing bowl content into a tray. They came out fluffier and tasting like dark chocolate moist cake! Excellent! :D

jules December 22, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Thanks for sharing Jamie
Good to know they’re OK with less sugar!

Westia December 29, 2010 at 5:13 am

Wow, I really want to try these cookies. Thanks for posting the recipe! But is it possible to substitute with granulated/organic white sugar? If so, do you know the measurements that needs to be adjusted? Thanks in advance!

jules December 29, 2010 at 8:59 pm

westia
if you use granulated sugar it’s not going to dissolve as well as the powdered sugar so the cookies will have a grainy texture and you may get some sugar weeping from them but if you’re ok with a bit of extra texture it will be fine.

vee February 10, 2011 at 12:46 pm

yeah jules ! Easy and no white flour !
I bring cookies to Bible study and going to try these out. I am grateful to have found your help. We appreciate you.

jules February 10, 2011 at 7:58 pm

awesome vee
thanks for the positive feedback!

Kristin March 21, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Thanks for the recipe! I’ll be trying this one for sure!

Erin March 28, 2011 at 1:51 am

Wow.. I made these last night and thought they were good fresh out of the oven, but Oh Em Gee, are they fantastic the next day!

I didn’t bake all of the batter, and the leftovers have tightened up a lot. We’ll see how they come out…

martha@simple-nourished-living.com April 6, 2011 at 8:36 am

Love your beautiful blog and can’t wait to try these cookies. Added a link to them in a post I recently did about easy buttery jam cookies.

Kimberley June 16, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Made these tonight while tidying up the kitchen. By the time I was done they had cooled and were perfect as a reward for all my hard work. Soooooo easy to make. Only problem is that I grabbed two to eat with my cup of tea (they just looked so good), and could only finish one. More left to share tomorrow. :)

Erin November 30, 2011 at 2:55 am

Gave these cookies as a gift…but I changed it up a bit. Instead of actually making/ baking them, I used powdered egg whites, so that all the ingredients were dry. I layered the ingredients nicely in a jar. The only liquid/ ingredient the recipient needed was a couple of tablespoons of water. Wrote out instructions, tied on a pretty ribbon…viola! quick gift.

Erin November 30, 2011 at 2:58 am

I neglected to tell you that I omitted the vanilla…and subbed in a tiny sprinkle of instant coffee…i was told the cookies were fabulous.

I have yet to make them for myself!

Easy Cookies December 20, 2011 at 4:17 am

These look absolutely delicious!

Zelda Delasbour January 22, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a bit, but other than that, this is wonderful blog. A great read. I’ll definitely be back.

emilie January 24, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I just made these tonight… I don’t know how everyone else didn’t have this happen to them, but they didn’t turn out at all as “cookies”. Maybe it was because i actually needed the baking paper? The first batch (with greased pan) i let them cool, maybe a little longer than usually (but that shouldn’t really make a difference right?) and it was impossible to take off. Second batch (with wax paper), felt like it wasn’t cooked enough. Either way, everything came out crumbly since i had to scrapped it all off. Another thing i notice is that it just kind of… flatten itself, not puffy at all.
I mean, the crumbs i had was tasty, stupid sweet, and… really sticky. But yeah..
It was a fail ):

Lakia Christie January 26, 2012 at 9:11 am

I like the valuable information you provide in your articles. I’ll bookmark your blog and check again here regularly. I’m quite certain I’ll learn many new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!

alan glasser January 29, 2012 at 7:49 am

my batch came out poorly
bad nut brittle and all sugar,if hindsight were foresight I would not have tried this all sugar mess.

Annie February 5, 2012 at 6:21 am

Hi…thank you for the recipe, it look quite simple. What would happen if I used a little bit of butter in the recipe for a richer texture?

jules February 6, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Good question Annie..
I’d say butter may make them a little softer and less crunchy.. but that might be a good thing..
Do report back if you try it out

Kamilah Hurtis February 9, 2012 at 6:31 pm

We are a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community. Your website offered us with valuable info to work on. You have done a formidable job and our entire community will be thankful to you.

Starr Bolek February 14, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you can do with a few pics to drive the message home a bit, but other than that, this is great blog. A fantastic read. I’ll definitely be back.

Tamica Owsley February 14, 2012 at 6:33 pm

fantastic. I actually like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it sensible. I can’t wait to read much more from you. This is really a great site.

Beatriz Bosen February 21, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I think this is one of the most important info for me. And i am glad reading your article. But should remark on few general things, The web site style is great, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers

Fredia Handsom February 24, 2012 at 6:26 am

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you can do with a few pics to drive the message home a bit, but instead of that, this is magnificent blog. A great read. I’ll certainly be back.

L Coates February 29, 2012 at 10:00 am

are the whites supposed to be whipped up or something? there just didn’t seem to be enough liquid to pull the batter together. it was very dry. I added a touch more egg white and mixed with my hands and that seemed to do the trick. Now that they are baking they just are not spreading like they should. Should I have just kept mixing the original recipe until it came together? I would like to give this a second try with a bit of guidance!

Kara March 17, 2012 at 10:17 am

Yummmmm…this is my dream dessert! First of all the batter was delicious :)
I recently started eating gluten free, and I also am lactose intolerant. But I absolutely love desserts and chocolate…so these hit the spot! I’ve missed deserts so much! Thanks so much for sharing!
I added instant coffee granules & craisins and baked them like brownies. I used a hand mixer and there was a perfect amount of liquid and everything.
LOVE THESE.

Mary April 24, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Very awesome website! Cheers for taking the time to create this captivating post!

mike Australia May 28, 2012 at 5:30 pm

hey, just made these with my 9 yr old son, had to keep his tongue out of the mix….
they are great!!!!!

Thankyou

jules May 31, 2012 at 10:03 am

So glad you and your son are enjoying them mike!

Geetha August 5, 2012 at 7:35 pm

i dont understand why my mixture was dry. very dry. the 2 egg whites were not enough for all those dry mixtures

jules August 13, 2012 at 7:40 am

Hi Geetha
Sorry to hear your mixture was dry. Did you use large eggs?

llane October 4, 2012 at 9:19 pm

nice cookies and i think that is delicious

Dee October 10, 2012 at 6:10 am

I love these have tried these 3 times each one of them great. The first one I used half dark chips with rough chopped nuts you were right to say they spread we broke them into thirds. The second did rough chopped nuts without the chips still great. If you like your cookies a bit more on the soft side put I chopped my nuts (used pecans) just short of nut butter about the size of rice in my processor the difference is they don’t crack so you need to check so they burn.

jules November 5, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Thanks for sharing Dee!

Stefani Twyford November 29, 2012 at 4:37 am

Jules, I made these last night… amazing!
The bigger they are, the fudgier. When I made smaller ones, they were crisper (and coincidentally easier to get off the baking parchment.) I made them with toasted pecans (cuz that’s what we have in Texas!). Thanks for sharing so much of your cooking with us. I love your blog, and your recipes (many of which I make.)

Stefani

jules December 4, 2012 at 5:35 pm

So glad you liked them Stefani!

natasha December 17, 2012 at 12:13 pm

hey jules,

do you have any recipes that might be a little bit better for someone with diabetes that would taste super good??? :)

Jaclyn March 12, 2013 at 2:50 am

Do these cookies freeze well?