how to roast an avocado and what to do with it when you do [5 ingredients]

roast avocado salad haas avocado

Hot avocado isn’t something that I’m usually into. Guacamole, I love. Avocado on toast is a favourite breakfast treat. And who could forget the beauty of a classic BLT, turned into something really special with a little avocado and an unfortunate acronym (BLAT).

But when it comes to actually cooking avocado, I tend to steer clear. It could possibly have something to do with the disaster that was an avocado soup I made for a dinner party in the 90s when I was young and naive. Or it could just be that you don’t see recipes for warm avocado very often.

Either way, when I was reading Jamie’s America I couldn’t help but be intrigued by his ‘Mad Dog Salad’ that contained tortilla chips, melted cheese and roast avocado. Putting aside my hot avocado prejudice, I gave it a go. And while the avocado was surprisingly delicious. Still rich, but more interesting with its crispy edges. The texture meaty and substantial, not the greasy softness I was imagining.

But eating salad leaves with your fingers is a bit funny. And eating tortilla chips covered in melted cheese with a fork feels a touch barbaric. And my Irishman thought it was a bit token trying to make nachos seem healthy. Not entirely a winner, but the avocado we loved.

So I had a bit of a think about it and came up with this roast avocado and couscous salad. A great little dish with the onion-spiked couscous balancing out the rich, toasty avocado. And one that makes sense to eat with a fork.

roast avocado salad

[5 ingredients]
roast avocado & couscous salad

Feel free to use a different grain for this salad. Burglur wheat or freekah would make a more interesting substitute as would cooked quinoa.

If the warm avocado makes you a little nervous, by all means serve it with raw avocado.

This is a great thing to make if your avocado is a little on the under-ripe side. It won’t soften a rock hard avo’ but it will help along one that is a little too hard to spread on toast.

I’ve been having an issue with lumpy couscous of late but have overcome the problem. Instead of using a fork to fluff before serving, I’ve found that a wire whisk does a much better job.

1 large avocado
1/2 cup couscous
1/4 small red onion, peeled & finely diced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 handfuls mixed leaves

Preheat oven to 200C (400F). Cut avocado into quarters, lengthwise, discarding stone and peel. Drizzle with a little olive oil and season generously with salt & pepper. Bake for about 15minutes or until hot and sizzling and starting to go a little golden at the edges.

Meanwhile, place couscous and onion in a heatproof bowl and pour over 1/2 cup boiling water. Season and stir through a tablespoon extra virgin olive oil. Cover and stand until needed.

Whisk together 1 tablespoon lemon juice with 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil. Season.

To serve, fluff couscous with a wire whisk or a fork. Toss leaves and couscous through dressing and arrange on a platter or 2 plates. Top with hot avocado.

roast avocado

____________________________________________________

gourmet rabbit logo

For those of you interested in a wonderful new food website it’s worth taking a look at GourmetRabbit. I have 3 annual memberships to GourmetRabbit (worth $AU22.95 each) and a copy of GourmetRabbit Issue #1 (worth $16.95) for 4 winners. To be in the running to win, subscribe to stonesoup by email before 31st August.

On breadshoes: enopizzeria – neutral bay.

Jade @ No Longer 25 July 26, 2010 at 6:57 pm

I love avocado but I’ve never tried it warm, we’ve got a couple sitting at home at the moment so I might try roasting them.

Nicole July 26, 2010 at 6:59 pm

Roast avocado? Now thats a thought! Sounds like my sort of salad, definitely going on my “to try list”. Never used to be a huge fan of avocado, recently realised that i loveee hass avocado’s but am not too particularly keen on the other varieties.

Marie (a.k.a. gardenfreshtomatoes) July 26, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Love the idea of roasted avocado – the ones in the stores here are hardly ever “just right” for eating raw. Can’t wait to try this.

Got a solution for your lumpy couscous: Get a small saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Sautee your onion in a little olive oil at the bottom of it, then add the water and bring to a boil. Add the dry couscous, stir once around, put on the lid and turn off the flame (move it off the burner if your stovetop’s electric). Never gets lumpy, no need to wrestle with clingfilm, and you get more onion flavor when it’s been cooked a little first.

Mark @ Cafe Campana July 26, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Yes hot avo does sound a little weird. The closest I come is some of my guacamole getting toasted on a nacho. Your recipe does look good and worth trying something new.

Courtney Carver July 26, 2010 at 11:04 pm

I love when you publish an idea that I know will be become a regular meal at my house. I am going to try this one before the end of the week!

Wei Wei July 26, 2010 at 11:19 pm

I still have to try avocado, dammit! :(

Wei Wei

Cristina July 27, 2010 at 12:13 am

Mmm this roasted avocado sounds really interesting…I normally use it raw, but you’ve spiced my curiosity. I’ll give it a try :)

Karen July 27, 2010 at 12:59 am

Thank you for this recipe! I have an avocado I need to do something with and as much as I LOVE couscous I have never made it from scratch. Just the boxed flavored variety. So, a quick easy and yummy recipe for summer is right up my alley. Will have to try tonight!

Now, if I could only successfully roast veggies, especially squash and zucchini! Have amy tips for that?

kathy July 27, 2010 at 8:40 am

Simple, healthy and delicious. Perfect! Your photos are gorgeous. I really hope you will submit this to http://www.FindingVegan.com ~Kathy

Fran Macdonald July 27, 2010 at 9:45 am

I just subscribed, having found you through The Daily Brainstorm. I’m going to try this recipe asap. Love the title of your blog too – sounds like something I really need, as I’m very busy but do want to eat well and healthy, and I also work from home so can cook.

Zooey July 27, 2010 at 1:24 pm

That was soooooo good! I never would have thought of a warm avocado in anything, but having one on hand I made this for dinner. Delish! Thank you as always!

Gabi July 27, 2010 at 5:01 pm

I actually love warm avocado! Exactly how you said – with melted cheese – but in a toasted sandwich with tomato. It’s one of my favorite things to order in sandwich places with few vegetarian options.

But I didn’t even know that you could roast them. I wonder if you could braise them…my friends are very into braising these days. I was a bit skeptical, but I tried the Julia Child cucumbers and I was definitely intrigued.

Katie@Cozydelicious July 28, 2010 at 7:31 am

I don’t think I have ever eaten roasted avocado, but this sounds amazing! I love the idea of this salad. I bet the textures are awesome.

Katie&Wags July 28, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Ooo, hot avo – I like it!

Enrique July 29, 2010 at 11:47 pm

But with any type of avocado? There are at least 3 type on top of my head.

The one that you use looks like Hass.

jules July 30, 2010 at 8:52 am

enrique
yes I used a hass – they’re my favourite but I’m sure other varieties would work as well – you might just need to adjust the cooking time

kathy
thanks for the link to finding vegan – just submitted

karen
my favourite way to cook zucchini is to slice thinly into coins and pan fry in olive oil with some garlic over a medium high heat for about 8 minutes or until it is all soft and melting. so so good

marie
thanks for the couscous tip -

Candida July 30, 2010 at 1:45 pm

I’m new to your blog, found it through foodgawker, and just wanted to let you know how much I loved this recipe. I made it for dinner tonight. I’d never tried roasting avocado before and… wow. Fantastic. :)

Sandra E July 31, 2010 at 8:37 am

Jesus Christ I’m really starting to get hungry here… you’ve just taken avocado to a whole other level :)

kim August 3, 2010 at 12:04 am

i’m so glad avocado is so cheap now (since they’re in season). Love it when one is so ripe and luscious. I’ve to be careful not to eat an entire fruit of it. :) Thanks for sharing the roasted idea.

Nerida August 6, 2010 at 10:15 am

I am looking forward to reading this post, but the photos aren’t showing, so I’ll wait ’til they reappear.

jules August 12, 2010 at 11:40 am

nerida
thanks for letting me know about the photos – technical glitch – all fixed up now

kim
yes avocado season is the best!

candida
so glad you enjoyed!

Haley @ Cheap Recipe Blog February 25, 2012 at 4:03 am

I love the creative use of an avocado here! I just tried this salad and it’s great. I used balsamic instead of lemon juice and it was very tasty. Added just a bit of sweetness that I like.

Amanda Leader April 16, 2012 at 3:47 am

Well, having Googled “roast avocado” I’m now off to try your ideas. Three avocados sitting in the fruit bowl and the weather here in Burgundy as turned decidedly un-salady!

Pork chops and leftover roast veg tonight with a side of hot avo – sure it’ll be fab!

Thank you for the great blog.

Yahfah September 27, 2012 at 7:05 am

I can’t believe I didn’t come up with this! I love the avocado and all it can do! Thank you so much for the recipe :)

Yahfah September 27, 2012 at 7:07 am

…and I love your blog; so simplistically beautiful in style and chock full of great food ideas!

jules November 5, 2012 at 3:54 pm