Don’t you just love birthdays?
Especially since I decided a couple of years ago that you’re not old until you’re 80 (and I reserve the right to change my opinion on that when I become an octogenarian).
So today is my birthday and do I have a treat for you.
My gorgeous, not-so-little pirate brother came to stay last week and was kind enough to do a few building jobs around the house. So I repaid the favour in my brother’s favourite currency – Lemon Meringue Pie.
And while it wasn’t quite as good as my Mum’s… I had a bit of a realisation of how much I love lemony sweet things and made a mental note to come up with LMP in cake form for my birthday cake.
And here it is. The secret is using almond meal to keep it super moist. Then the double hit of lemony goodness. First we add the zest of 2 lemons to the cake batter. And then when it comes out of the oven we double up with a liberal dosing of nothing but freshly squeezed lemon juice. Which keeps the whole thing fresh and zingy.
It’s certainly a celebrational cake.
delicious lemon birthday cake
takes 10 mins prep + 45 mins baking
I love baking with almond meal because it keeps things lovely and moist AND gluten-free. But it can be expensive, so feel free to substitute in half or all self raising flour. The texture will be different but you’ll still be getting all the lovely lemony goodness.
I normally don’t bother with cakes that call for creaming the butter and sugar, but have made a special exception here.
250g (8.5oz) butter
250g (8.5oz) caster sugar
250g (8.5oz) almond meal
zest of 2 lemons + 1/2 cup lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 180C (350F). Line a loaf pan with baking paper.
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add eggs one at a time.
3. Stir in almond meal and lemon zest.
4. Transfer batter to the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes or until golden and a skewer comes out clean.
5. Punch holes in the cake with a skewer and pour over the lemon juice. Cool in the tin.
video version of the recipe
More Birthday Cake Love!
- 2019 Strawberry Almond Shortcakes
- 2018 Chocolate Walnut Birthday ‘Cake’
- 2017 Amazing Orange & Almond Birthday Cake
- 2016 Peanut Butter Cheesecake
- 2015 Paleo Carrot Cake
- 2014 Red Velvet Birthday Brownies
- 2013 Birthday Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 2012 Croissant Surprise Birthday Cake
- 2011 Delicious Lemon Birthday Cake