Birthday Ice Cream Sandwiches
There’s a cafe in Sydney that serves ice cream sandwiches for breakfast. If it takes your fancy, by all means go for it. Personally, I’d rather have mine as an after dinner treat.
The sandwiches are quite large so I tend to chop them in half.
Oh and make sure you use good quality peanut butter. The type without any added vegetable oil or sugar. We’re adding enough sugar as it is with these cookies. And I prefer to use smooth since the cookies have enough going on texturally on their own. But if you only have crunchy PB in the house don’t let that stop you!
And one final note, this is my favourite Gluten-free cookie recipe. Enjoy!
Enough for 4-5 sandwiches
250g (9oz) peanut butter (see note above)
200g (7oz) brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
50g (2oz) dark chocolate chopped into chunks
1. Preheat your oven to 180C (350F). Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
2. Combine peanut butter, brown sugar, egg and baking powder in a medium bowl.
3. Add chocolate and stir until just combined.
4. Scoop out heaped tablespoon chunks and place on the trays. I usually have 4-5 cookies on each tray.
5. Squish the cookies flat with your fingers and tuck any stray chocolate chunks into the dough.
6. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cookies are golden brown at the edges.
7. Cool on the tray.
8. When ready to serve, sandwich cookies with ice cream and prepare for a treat!
chocolate-free – just skip it
vegan / egg-free – you could try your favourite egg replacer but I’d be nervous about how they’ll turn out.
nut-free – use this flour based cookie recipe instead.
sugar-free – for me the brown sugar is critical for the lovely flavour so I wouldn’t risk it.
Video version of the recipe.
More Birthday Cake Love!
- 2019 Strawberry Almond Shortcakes
- 2018 Chocolate Walnut Birthday ‘Cake’
- 2017 Amazing Orange & Almond Birthday Cake
- 2016 Peanut Butter Cheesecake
- 2015 Paleo Carrot Cake
- 2014 Red Velvet Birthday Brownies
- 2013 Birthday Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 2012 Croissant Surprise Birthday Cake
- 2011 Delicious Lemon Birthday Cake