Zucchini Mac & Cheese
This is a recipe that was inspired by English chef, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. It certainly fits in with the ‘tasty’ criteria for my new ebook but with the pasta it didn’t really come up to scratch from a health perspective. So rather include it in my new eCookbook, I thought I’d share it here.
enough for 2
4 zucchini, sliced finely
1-2 cloves garlic, crushed (optional)
4 tablespoons cream
150g (5oz) short pasta
2 handful melting cheese
salad leaves, to serve
1. Preheat your oven to 180C (350F). Bring a pot of water for the pasta to boil.
2. Heat a little olive oil on a medium heat in a large frying pan. Add zucchini and cook until the zucchini are super soft and reduced. 10-15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, boil pasta according to the packet timing. Drain.
4. Add garlic to the zucchini (if using) and cook for about 30 seconds. Remove pan from the heat and toss in the pasta, cream and half the cheese.
5. Divide the mixture between 2 x 2cup oven proof dishes. Top with remaining cheese and pop in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until everything is hot and the cheese has melted.
6. Serve with salad leaves on the side.
carnivore – brown some bacon or crumbled pork sausages and toss in with the pasta.
more substantial / carb lovers – serve with garlic bread.
different cheese – I use a combo of emmental, gruyere and parmesan but cheddar, mozzarella and swiss cheese are also good.
vegan / dairy-free – just toss the garlicky zucchini through the cooked pasta with a little extra olive oil. And serve with finely grated brazil nuts and a handful of mint or basil leaves on top.
healthier / more veg – replace some or all of the pasta with steamed chopped cauliflower.
different veg – the zucchini are pretty special here because they cook down and concentrate in flavour but you could use asparagus, broccoli, peas, red bell peppers (capsicum) or cauliflower.
gluten-free – use GF pasta (I did) or replace the pasta with steamed chopped cauliflower.
Also see: 16 Tasty Ideas for Zucchini.