[dropcap style=”font-size: 60px; color: #9b9b9b;”] N[/dropcap]ow I know spinach soup doesn’t sound that exciting. Even with the alliteration. But trust me, when you top it with creamy salty feta and crunchy roast nuts, this soup becomes a thing of beauty (and deliciousness!)
Love that all these ingredients will keep in the fridge / freezer / pantry for months so it’s a great recipe to add to your ’emergency meal’ collection.
If you’re not a frozen spinach fan feel free to use fresh spinach or other greens like chard or kale. Just be prepared to cook for longer until your fresh greens are tender. And you might like to give it a blitz with the stick blender for a more smooth texture.
And if you forget to defrost the spinach, just pile it into the pot with the stock and allow a little extra time. Too easy.
Spinach Soup with Smashed Feta & Walnuts
- 2 onions softened
- 2 packets frozen spinach (250g / 9oz each), defrosted
- 2 cups stock
- 200 g (7oz) feta, crumbled
- 2 large handfuls roast walnuts
- Heat a generous glug of olive oil in a medium saucepan on a medium heat. Peel and slice onion and add to the pot with a pinch of salt to help the onion soften. Cook covered, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Add spinach and stock and simmer for a few minutes. Taste and season with extra salt if needed, remembering the feta is going to bring a lot of salt.
- Divide hot soup between two bowls and top with feta and nuts.
WINE MATCH: A simple shiraz.
Spinach Soup with Smashed Feta & Walnuts Variations & Substitutions
dairy-free – replace feta with salted smashed avocado, hummus or dairy-free pesto.
different nuts – I love walnuts at the moment but pine nuts, almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, or macadamias will all be super tasty!
fresh spinach / greens – Wash and finely slice your greens before using. Be prepared to cook for longer until your fresh greens are tender. And you might like to give it a blitz with the stick blender for a more smooth texture.
herby – add a small bunch of finely chopped dill, parsley or basil just before serving.
more substantial (low carb) – drizzle over a nice peppery extra virgin olive oil (2 tablespoons oil is about the same calories as a slice of toast). Or add more nuts or cheese. Some cooked chicken or sausage will also work.
more substantial (carb-lovers) – add cooked rice or quinoa or torn sourdough. Serve with crusty bread and butter.
nut-free – use croutons instead. Or toasted seeds like sunflower or linseeds or a mixture.
short on time – skip the onion or use 1 teaspoon onion powder instead.
Yes! Just make the soup as per the recipe but keep the feta and walnuts separately. Will keep in the fridge for 2-3 weeks or can be frozen. To serve, bring back to a simmer and top with your cheese and nuts.
More Recipes Similar to Spinach Soup with Smashed Feta & Walnuts
- Super Easy Smoked Salmon Spinach Tart
- Creamy Mushroom, Leek & Spinach Soup
- Cheesy Tuna & Spinach Bake
- Easy Spinach & Feta Frittata
- Spiced Cabbage & Feta
- Creamy Cabbage & Almond Soup
Have fun in the kitchen!