Avocado on toast used to be one of my go-to breakfasts before I got into the whole low carb thing. But this Mexican Omelette has added smashed avocado back into my repertoire.
Recently I’ve been having a bit of an avocado rediscovery.
And was inspired one night to try it smashed onto an omelette for a quick solo dinner.
Talk about a winner.
Love how the egg forms the base to bring all these delicious Mexican flavours together.
Mexican Omelette with Smashed Avo
- 2-3 eggs
- 1 small avocado or 1/2 large
- 1/2 lime
- hot sauce to serve
- handful roast cashews / almonds
- small bunch coriander (cilantro), leaves picked
- Mix eggs in a small bowl with a pinch of salt. Heat a small frying pan on a medium high heat.
- When the pan is warm add a splash of olive oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan. Add eggs and allow to cook gently until no longer runny. If they start to sizzle rapidly, turn the heat down. You want the eggs to cook gently so they don’t over cook.
- When the eggs are just set, roll the omelette onto a plate. Top with avocado, smash the avo a little with a fork and squeeze over some lime juice. Sprinkle over hot sauce and finish with a flourish of coriander leaves and the roast nuts.
WINE MATCH: A crisp dry white like Riesling or a cold Dos Eqquis beer.
NET CARBS: 11g/serve
Mexican Omelette Variations & Substitutions
nut-free – just skip the nuts or replace with extra avo or some roast veg or cooked chickpeas. Or crumble over some feta or goats cheese.
more substantial (carb lovers) – hot buttered toast or warm tortillas.
more substantial (low carb) – extra avo, extra eggs or extra nuts.
Low FODMAP – replace avocado with sour cream.
family-friendly – skip the hot sauce.
different herbs – mint, basil or parsley. A small amount of chopped chives or tarragon would also be delish.
no avocado – sour cream, hummus, roast eggplant, grilled zucchini, cherry tomatoes, almond hummus.
egg-free – serve these mexican flavours on a slice of toast or on a bowl of beautiful broccoli. Increase the nuts to make it more substantial.
Waste Avoidance Strategy
eggs – will keep in the fridge for weeks or use for another meal.
avocado – use for another meal. Don’t freeze.
lime – will keep in a plastic bag in the fridge for months.
hot sauce / roast cashews / almonds – keep them in the pantry.
coriander – best to use for another meal. Can be frozen but will wilt when defrosted.
No best when freshly made :)
More Simple Mexican Recipes
- Smoky Mexican Sausages
- Mexican Roast Eggplant with Green Chorizo
- Smoky Cauliflower Taco Bowls
- Zucchini Tortillas (Low Carb)
- Fish Tacos with Easy Coriander Hot Sauce
- Taco Tuesday Bowls
Have fun in the kitchen!