[dropcap style=”font-size: 60px; color: #00adef;”] T[/dropcap]his simple egg & bacon pie has it all…
Creamy, cheesy eggs.
Smoky, salty bacon.
Chopped chives for freshness.
And the worlds simplest pie crust.
Plus it’s incredibly versatile.
I’m just as happy eating a slice for breakfast as I am for lunch and dinner.
It travels well so is perfect for picnics or for making work lunches a little special.
Oh and it’s ready in 30 minutes.
Like I said, it has it all. Except a pie lid ;)
Super Simple Egg & Bacon Pie
- 150g(5oz) bacon, chopped
- 100g(3.5oz) almond meal
- 100g(3.5oz) cream
- 100g(3.5oz) grated cheese such as cheddar
- 1small bunch chiveschopped
- Turn your oven on to 200C (400F). Heat a small frying pan on a medium high heat. Add a little oil and cook bacon pieces, stirring often until bacon is browned.
- Take a large square of baking paper. Wet the paper by scrunching it under running water from the tap. Flatten the damp paper to line the base and sides of a 24cm (9in) spring form tin or a pie dish. Scatter almond meal and a little salt over the base of the tin.
- In a medium bowl combine eggs, cream, cheese, chives, half the cooked bacon and a pinch of salt until mixed through. Pour the egg mixture over the almond meal base. Top with the remaining cooked bacon.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the pie is golden and puffed up a little.
- Serve hot, warm or chilled.
WINE MATCH: A cold beer or crisp dry Riesling.
NET CARBS: 8g/serve
Variations & Substitutions for Super Simple Egg & Bacon Pie
accompaniments – my Irishman will happily eat it on it’s own. I need a simple green salad or some cooked greens. Sauerkraut or pickles are lovely for added freshness and crunch.
short on time – use ham instead of bacon and skip the browning step.
vegetarian – replace bacon with sun dried tomatoes or cooked veg such as grilled peppers, eggplant, mushrooms or zucchini.
dairy-free – replace cream with 1 extra egg and 3 tablespoons water. Replace cheese with sun dried tomatoes or cooked veg such as grilled peppers, eggplant or zucchini.
nut-free – skip the almond meal and call it a frittata instead. Replace almond meal with soft bread crumbs or use a cooked pie shell instead. Ground linseeds (flax) can work but the flavour is more prominent with I like but not everyone in my family does. Ground sunflower seeds are an other option.
more substantial (carb lovers) – use the pie as a filling in a sandwich or bread roll.
more substantial (low carb) – use the pie to serve 2 instead or 3. Or add a dollop of mayonnaise.
Low FODMAP – halve the almond meal or skip it.
no chives / different herbs – parsley, rosemary or thyme. Or just skip the herbs. Or soften a small diced onion in the bacon fat and use that instead.
egg-free – I’m afraid you really need the egg here to set the filling.
different cheese – feel free to use whatever cheese you have in the house. Or a mixture – it’s s great way to use up little bits and pieces. Parmesan, feta, brie, camembert, goats cheese are all great.
Waste Avoidance Strategy
bacon – freeze it.
almond meal – keep it in the pantry.
eggs – will keep in the fridge for weeks or use for another meal.
cream – unopened cartons will generally keep in the fridge for 1-2 weeks. If you need to store for longer, just pop in the freezer in a sealed container.
cheese – most hard and melting cheeses will keep for weeks wrapped in waxed paper or baking paper and stored in an airtight container (or sealed ziplock bag) in the fridge. If you need to store for longer cheese can be frozen.
chives – best to use for another meal.
Yes! Just cook as per the recipe. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Don’t freeze.
More Recipes Similar to Super Simple Egg & Bacon Pie
- Gorgeous Greens Tart
- Egg & Bacon Tacos
- Cheesey Cauli & Bacon Bake
- Broccoli & Bacon Bowls
- Super Easy Smoked Salmon Spinach Tart
- Harissa Scrambled Eggs
- Best Ever Broccoli Salad
Have fun in the kitchen!