What could be better than avocado smashed on toast? Easy! Avocado Butter – avocado whipped with creamy butter and spiked with fresh herbs and lime.
Seriously it doesn’t get much better than this.
And of course no need to deprive yourself if you’re not a bread eater, like me, The avo butter is brilliant on my Little Almond Breads (pictured above).
It’s even better dolloped on things.
- 2 small avocado (250g / 9oz)
- 50 g salted butter softened
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 sprig tarragon or dill (optional)
- Puree avocado, butter, lime and herbs in a small bowl of your food processor. Or with a stick blender.
- When smooth and creamy, taste and add a little salt or more lime if needed.
- Refrigerate for 5-10 minutes to firm up a little before serving.
Variations & Substitutions for Avocado Butter
pantry-friendly – frozen avocado.
dairy-free – use olive oil instead of the butter.
more substantial (carb lovers) – serve on toast!
more substantial (low carb) – serve on almond bread.
Low FODMAP – just use butter instead. Sorry!
Waste Avoidance Strategy
avocado – use for another meal. Don’t freeze.
butter – will keep in the fridge for weeks.
lime – will keep in a plastic bag in the fridge for months.
tarragon / dill – best to use for another meal.
Problem Solving Guide
bland – add more salt and lime as needed.
too runny – pop in the fridge to firm up.
too limey – for now add more avo or butter or add some extra virgin olive oil. Next time halve the lime.
no food processor – finely chop the herbs and smash everything together in a bowl with a fork.
Yes. Just make as per the recipe. Will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days but best in the first 24 hours. Can be frozen.
More simple recipes like Avocado Butter
- Low Carb Almond Breads (Gluten-Free)
- Spanish Frittata
- Spinach Feta Burgers
- The Good Greens
- Burgers with Mint & Almond Salsa
- Quick Halloumi & Rocket Salad
- Kale ‘Carbonara’
Have fun in the kitchen!
PS. Thinking about making this recipe?
Let me know in the comments below.
– – – – – – – –