We are incredibly blessed to have 2 small boys in the house. And I especially love the challenge of inspiring them to become vegetable lovers like their Mama.
Let’s just say it’s a work in progress.
So I’m always trying to come up with ideas for family meals to suit all our different dietary requirements. Without having to cook separate meals.
These low carb nachos definitely live up to their name of keeping everyone happy.
I like zucchini version. My Irishman likes ‘both’ – some zucchini and some corn chips. No prizes for guessing the boys prefer corn chips.
Everyone Happy Nachos (Low Carb)
- 4medium zucchini (courgettes)OR tortilla chips
- 4thick sausages approx 300g / 10oz
- 2handfulsgrated cheeseapprox 50g / 2oz
- hot sauce eg. Tabasco
- 1bunchcoriander (cilantro) OR mint or parsley
- 1avocado OR sour cream
- Turn your oven to 250C (480F). Line a large rimmed baking tray with baking paper. If using zucchini, slice into rounds about 1/2cm (1/4 inch) thick. Spread zucchini over the tray. Drizzle with a little oil and roast for 10 minutes.
- If not using zucchini, create 2 piles of corn chips, one for each person on a large rimmed baking tray.
- If using zucchini, when the first 10 minutes are up, create 2 piles of roast zucchini, one for each person.
- Or if using both, create 2 piles based on whatever makes sense to you!
- Remove sausage casings and discard. Tear sausage meat into bite sized pieces. Scatter over the top of your 2 piles.
- Return to the oven for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly over both piles. Return to the oven for another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden.
- Carefully transfer each pile onto a plate using the baking paper to help. Serve with hot sauce, herbs and avocado / sour cream on top.
NOTE: There are 11g carbs / serve for the zucchini only version – I didn’t dare calculate it for the tortilla chips!
Variations & Substitutions Low Carb Nachos
short on time – cook the sausage meat in a pan while the zucchini is roasting. Skip the cheese melting step.
Keto / ultra low carb – skip the corn chips!
vegetarian – replace sausage with cooked lentils, chickpeas or beans.
dairy-free – use the avo. OR serve with this lime + cashew ‘sour cream’ (it’s really great!)
more substantial (carb lovers) – extra tortilla chips.
more substantial (low carb) – extra avo. Roast almonds, macadamias or cashews.
Low FODMAP – use 1/2 zucchini and 1/2 corn chips.
different vegetables – I’ve also made this with kale chips – they only take about 5 minutes to cook before adding the sausage. Eggplant will work or red capsicum (bell peppers), or cauliflower or even broccoli. Just adjust cooking time as needed.
different protein – any ground (minced meat) or cooked lentils, chickpeas or beans. Chicken thigh or breast fillets will also be good – just make sure they cook through. Leftover slow cooked meat is excellent. You could also make a nest on each pile and crack an egg to cook in the middle.
more fancy / for entertaining – serve with this crunchy iceberg lettuce salad or any more substantial salad. Or live dangerously and serve with avocado AND sour cream AND some roast cashews for crunch.
Problem Solving Guide
bland – more salt! more hot sauce! more avocado! Or try a squeeze of lemon or lime juice.
too dry – either your sausage was too lean or you’ve over cooked the nachos. Next time get them out earlier. For now a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil or more sour cream will help.
no oven – change it to a nacho ‘hash’. Pan fry the sausage and sliced zucchini until both are cooked through and serve in bowls with the remaining ingredients on top.
sticking to the tray – next time remember the baking paper. For now, allowing the nachos to cool before trying to move them can help. Or serve it in the middle and just eat from the oven tray.
Prepare Ahead Low Carb Nachos
Yes for the zucchini version. The corn chips will go soggy with time. Just cook as per the recipe but keep the avocado / sour cream, hot sauce and herbs separately. Zucchini leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or can be frozen. Don’t freeze the avo / sour cream or herbs. To serve, warm in the oven for 10 minutes before finishing as per the recipe.
Recipes Similar to Low Carb Nachos
- Creamy Mushroom, Beef & Almond Pies (Low Carb)
- Fish Tacos with Easy Coriander Hot Sauce
- Almond ‘Hummus’ (Low Carb)
- Zucchini Tortillas (Low Carb)
- Quick Taco Bowls with Lime & Cashew Sauce (Sour Cream Substitute)
- Smoky Cauliflower Taco Bowls
Have fun in the kitchen!