You know when you have an avocado that needs eating up but you aren’t going to get to it?
I have the solution!
This *Amazing* Avo Sauce not only lives up to its name from a flavour perspective, it’s also great for extending the shelf life of your precious avocados.
Definitely one to save to your favourites.
It brings a bright creamy goodness wherever it goes. I especially love it with fish and pork but it’s also excellent with eggs or beef or chicken or turkey or beans or…. you get the picture ?
Basically use it anywhere you’d normally use avocado to bring an explosion of freshness. It’s also a great, if somewhat unusual dairy-free substitute for pesto.
Amazing Avo Sauce
- 30 g parsley, coriander (cilantro), mint OR basil (large bunch)
- 1 small avocado or 1/2 large
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 30 g jalapenos from a jar optional
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- Roughly chop the herbs to make it easier to blend.
- Place avocado, lime juice, water, jalapenos (if using), herbs, oil and salt in a tall jug or glass jar. Just make sure the mouth is wide enough for your stick blender. Or pop in the bowl of your food processor.
- Using your stick blender or processor, blitz until everything is combined and the herbs are finely chopped and flecked prettily through the sauce.
- Taste and season with more salt, lime juice or oil if needed (it probably won't).
Variations & Substitutions Avo Sauce
family-friendly / no heat / nightshade-free – skip the jalapenos.
different vegetables – replace avocado with green olives or roast eggplant (aubergine) or grilled peppers. Also thinking roast beets would make an amazing beet sauce!
different herbs – use a mix of any of parsley, coriander (cilantro), mint, basil, oregano or tarragon.
no lime – use apple cider vinegar, other wine vinegar or lemon juice.
different heat / no jalapenos – use any fresh or dried chilli peppers instead of the jalapenos – just adjust quantity according to taste and be careful not to add too much. You could also use a splash of tabasco or other hot sauce.
garlicky – I like it better without but feel free to add a small clove of garlic for extra intensity.
Ways to Use Your Avo Sauce
Everywhere – you’d normally use fresh avocado or guacamole.
With Any Protein – chicken, fish, beef, lamb, pork,
Waste Avoidance Strategy
green herbs – will keep in the fridge wrapped in a plastic bag for a few weeks. Can be frozen or make a parsley oil by packing the leaves into a clean jar and covering with extra virgin olive oil.
avocado – use for another meal. Don’t freeze.
lime – will keep in a plastic bag in the fridge for months.
jalapenos – unopened jars can be kept in the pantry. Once open will keep in the fridge for months.
olive oil / salt – keep them in the pantry.
Problem Solving Guide
bland – more salt, more lime or more jalapenos!
no stick blender – use a food processor – or finely chop everything and mix together with a spoon for a chunky salsa.
too hot – add more oil to calm things down. Don’t add more lime as it will exacerbate the heat.
Prepare Ahead Avo Sauce
Yes! Just make as per the recipe. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to 1-2 weeks or can be frozen. Serve chilled or allow to come to room temperature.
More Recipe Like Avo Sauce
- Addictive Artichoke Aioli
- Spiced Chicken with Ginger Almond Sauce
- Quick Taco Bowls with Lime & Cashew Sauce
- Chilli Chicken Tahini Sauce
- Salted Cabbage ‘Tortillas’
Have fun in the kitchen!