It’s hard to think of a dish that isn’t improved by a scattering of these pretty bright pink pickled onions.
I love how they bring colour, crunch and a big burst of sharp flavour.
If you think you’re not the type of person who pickles, these are the best place to start. It doesn’t get much easier than chopping an onion and soaking it in vinegar and salt. Trust me they are well worth the literal 5 minutes of your time.
And as an added bonus, onions are great for feeding your gut microbes – so you’re doing your health a favour at the same time as your taste buds.
Easiest 5-Minute Pickled Onions
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar approx
- 1 pinch salt
- Chop onion in half lengthwise. Trim ends and remove papery skin.
- Slice each half into thin 1/2 moons. I like them as thin as I can get them with my knife, but no need to stress about it.
- Place onion slices in a glass jar. Cover with red wine vinegar (you may need more or less depending on the size of your jar and onion.
- Sprinkle with a generous pinch of fine salt.
- Eat straight away but they're better if you can wait 10 minutes or longer.
- Will keep in the fridge for a month or more.
Ideas to Use Your Pickled Onions
with cheese – I love serving them with hard or soft cheeses.
Variations & Substitutions Pickled Onions
different onions – feel free to use brown, white or yellow onions – they just won’t be as pretty!
different vinegar – apple cider vinegar or any wine vinegar will work – the colour just won’t be as vibrant.
Low FODMAP – sorry! Can’t help with this one :)
different vegetables – any vegetables can be pickled with this quick method – some will take longer to taste good so be prepared to wait.
Waste Avoidance Strategy
red onion – will keep in the pantry for months. Best if in a dark corner in a brown paper bag.
red wine vinegar / salt – can be kept in the pantry.
Problem Solving Guide
bland – more salt!
too sharp – that’s part of the appeal. Leaving for a few hours to macerate in the vinegar will mellow the flavour.
Prepare Ahead Pickled Onions
Absolutely! Just prepare as per the recipe. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for months. Don’t freeze.
Have fun in the kitchen!