Excited to enjoy some Japanese food but don’t have any Shichimi Togarashi? I’ve got you covered. Here are my favourite simple Shichimi Togarashi substitutes.
What is Shichimi Togarashi?
Shichimi Togarashi or Japanese 7 Spice is a spicy Japanese seasoning that is generally sprinkled on food at the table.
The name translates as ‘seven flavours of chilli’.
It’s made from salt, chilli, white poppy seeds, golden sesame seeds, black sesame seeds, orange (or mandarin) peel, brown mustard and sichuan pepper.
The major flavours are saltiness and heat from the chilli. There are also nuttiness from the seeds. And aromatics from the orange and Sichuan pepper.
It’s also sometimes called Nanami Togarashi.
The Best Simple Shichimi Togarashi Substitutes
1. Salt + Chilli Powder or Flakes
My first choice is to just sprinkle on some sea salt (preferably sea salt flakes) and some dried chilli flakes (or powder).
If you only have fresh chilli peppers, they will be better than nothing.
2. Salt + Sesame Seeds + Chilli Powder or Flakes
If you want a closer match, adding some toasted sesame seeds along with the salt and chilli will add the nutty flavours and some of the visuals you get from Scichimi Togarashi.
3. Salt + Sesame Seeds + Chilli Powder or Flakes + Orange Zest
To really get close, add a pinch of grated zest from an orange to the salt. Only a pinch though, as too much and the orange will over power everything.
4. Ichimi Togarashi
If you happen to have or Ichimi Togarashi (plain chilli powder), it can be used. It won’t have the complexity of Shichimi but will be better than nothing. Check the ingredients to see if you’ll need to add salt as well.
More Tips for Cooking with Spice
- Have You Tried this Amazing Spice?
- My 3 Favourite Spice Blends (and their substitutes)
- Interview with a spice master
- How to stock a minimalist spice collection
Favourite Simple Japanese Recipes
- Fried Eggs with Smashed Avo & Togarashi
- Togarashi Beef
- Japanese Omelette with Miso Mayo
- Easy Japanese Burgers
- Okonomiyaki (Japanese Cabbage ‘Pancake’)
- Japanese Steaks with Ginger Miso Mustard
- Super Yum Japanese Broccoli
More Ingredient Substitutes
- The Ultimate Guide to Vegetable Substitutes
- Collard Greens
- Miso Paste
- Oyster Sauce
Also see see the Simple Ingredients Substitutes Index.
Have fun in the kitchen!