gone…..

Life is a funny old thing. One morning you’re running around Rushcutter’s Bay thinking how good life is and how much you’re looking forward to the weekend. Then that afternoon you’re taking a call from your gorgeous little brother saying that your cherished mother is in hospital and that it’s not looking good. Just when she is starting to recover from the intensity of breast cancer and chemo. An anurism in the brain exploded and there is extensive bleeding. A quick dash home to grab some things and then you’re on the M5. Speeding towards Canberra Hospital with a heavy heart as you make calls to cancel your weekend plans.

Then there are three days of hospital visits. Lightened by the humour of your sibblings but mostly just filled with a dull ache. Holding hands and talking to a body that resembles your Mum. Being strong for your dear old Dad. Then Monday afternoon. A meeting with the neuro-surgeon and head of intensive care. A difficult decision to remove life support. A tear filled family gathering in a small private hospital room as we witness our beloved mother breathe her last breath. A lonely car ride back to the family farm. Then a mushroom omelette with a green salad washed down with a couple of bottles of Veuve thoughtfully procured by my little sisters.  The only way to farewell such a special lady.

I miss you Mummy, I feel so blessed for the time that we’ve had together. And the only good thing to come out of this, apart from bonding with my Dad and sibblings and getting to know my sisters’ other halves better, is that whenever I need an excuse to pull the cork on a bottle of Champagne… I know you’ll be with me…. xx

Bea at La Tartine Gourmande August 26, 2007 at 12:22 pm

I am so sorry to hear the news Jules! Very sad! My best wishes to you to go through your mum’s loss!

Lynda August 26, 2007 at 12:38 pm

Dear Jules – condolences for the loss of your mother – how beautiful to hear that you and your family were able to celebrate her life as you mourned her passing… God Bless

Ellie August 26, 2007 at 12:42 pm

Oh Jules, I am so sorry to hear of your loss :( My thoughts are with you at this time, and I hope that having your family nearby helps you through the pain. xox

Steamy Kitchen August 26, 2007 at 1:08 pm

My dear, you Mum is so proud of you and will watch over you forever and ever. She is free like a songbird now!

xoxo
Jaden

Matt August 26, 2007 at 2:04 pm

Oh god Jules, I’m so sorry for your loss, and can’t really imagine what it must feel like… but I’ll have you and your mum in my thoughts… if that helps at all.

Matt

Sophie August 26, 2007 at 3:20 pm

What sad news, and all so sudden. Many condolences to you and your family Jules

Casey August 26, 2007 at 3:28 pm

I’m so sorry.

Zarah Maria August 26, 2007 at 5:04 pm

Oh Jules. I’m so sorry to hear this. Now that you thought everything was going to be okay.

You and your Mom are in my thoughts.

Wendy August 26, 2007 at 7:53 pm

So very sorry. Heartbreaking. Condolences to you and your family.

deborah August 26, 2007 at 9:12 pm

dear jules… i remember seeing your mum’s comments on your blog when i first started reading it and i thought how sweet it was that she read it and left comments of support for you. be well and i hope your mum finds peace after such a mighty fight.

rodney August 26, 2007 at 9:42 pm

Dear Jules, If I had the chance, I love to say to your Mum, thanks for instilling such a love of food, and of life into you. It is such a pleasure to log on everyday day and hear of the daily news and comings and goings of your life and of your families.

Take Care

Rodney

Sue August 26, 2007 at 10:06 pm

Oh God. So sorry to hear this sad news. Thank you for sharing with us in this difficult time. I am sure your mum will be very proud of you and happy that you are celebrating her life.

Stephanie August 26, 2007 at 10:56 pm

Oh dear Jules… I’m so sorry. I hope you and your family are doing OK. My thoughts are with you. love. Stephanie.

Arwen August 27, 2007 at 1:32 am

I’m so sorry. It’s so hard to lose a parent; I’m glad the family was together, and that you all got to say goodbye. My thoughts are with you.

katie August 27, 2007 at 2:22 am

from a complete stranger…

I love reading your blogs since finding the stone soup; they are absolutely beautiful and heart touching, so i was saddened by this latest entry (still crying now).

my superficial knowledge of you through this blog tells me how important she was to you, and is a good reminder about what really is important.

thanks for sharing this so publicly.

another outspoken female August 27, 2007 at 2:57 am

I’m so sorry to hear about your mum. This grief stuff is such a crappy roller coaster ride. I hope the warm thoughts from friends and bloggers alike adds a little support in a rough time. Hang in there.

amalee issa August 27, 2007 at 6:19 am

Jules, I’m so sorry to hear of your mum’s death; my sincere condolences for you at this dreadful time. Amalee

FreshInk August 27, 2007 at 9:00 am

Am so sorry for your loss. Take care of urself.

Carol August 27, 2007 at 9:16 am

Dear Jules, please accept my most heartfelt sympathies for your loss…my thoughts are with you and your family during this difficult time.

adina August 27, 2007 at 9:25 am

Dear Jules, accept my wishes to go through this moment… We are with you!! kisses

andreea August 27, 2007 at 9:26 am

dear jules, so sorry to hear these news. life always plays tricks on us. know she will always be with you.

monica glass August 27, 2007 at 10:20 am

i am so so sorry to hear about your loss, jules! with a mother who has been battling ovarian cancer for the past four years, i know how hard it can be on the entire family. and how when things are starting to look up, something goes wrong and sets the whole course off track. just remember that she wants you to go on, she wants you to live a life that would make her proud, and she will always be with you. and stay strong for your dad!

Hande August 27, 2007 at 11:03 am

What a nice way to say farewell to a loved one. I think I want to be departed in the same way. So sorry for your loss, but I am sure she went with the knowledge that she is loved.

Zoe August 27, 2007 at 11:07 am

My sympathies. A lovely way to remember your mum.

K. August 27, 2007 at 3:57 pm

You expressed your love for your mother in such a beautiful way. It truly touched me. My condolences.

jm gale August 27, 2007 at 7:11 pm

I’m sorry to hear about your loss. I went through a similar situation after Mom had heart surgery. It took about two weeks. It takes time to heal, but you will. And food can help!

SallyBR August 27, 2007 at 8:37 pm

My profound condolences to you and your family. It is very painful and sad to lose a parent, we are never ever ready for it

Eva August 27, 2007 at 11:11 pm

After reading the first few sentences I thought there has to be a happy ending – after all, champaign bottles were pictured above, right? However, it´s good to know that you turned this sad ending as happy for you and your family as possible.

Jess August 28, 2007 at 1:00 am

sorry for your loss jules, thoughts are with you

barbara August 28, 2007 at 4:33 am

Jules I’m so sorry for your loss. For your Mum to have gone through the surgery and chemo of breast cancer and come out the other side looking forward to a future. It just doesn’t seem fair for her to be taken like this. I’m thinking of you and your family.

ali August 28, 2007 at 6:05 am

Dear Jules, so sorry to hear of your mum’s passing. Take care, ali.

Julia August 28, 2007 at 12:23 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss. You have a beautiful family, and you are all in my thoughts.

Mallika August 28, 2007 at 8:15 pm

I came to look at your beautiful photography and read this with tears welling up in my eyes. I am so sorry to hear the news. My husband lost his mother to cancer only recently. I am sure wherever your mum is she’s in peace and proud to see her talented daughter make the most of her life and family.

Anne August 29, 2007 at 2:18 am

Oh, I am so sorry. Condolences to you and your family.

evinrude August 29, 2007 at 2:48 pm

Deepest condolences to you, Jules. I’m sure she’s gone to a better place. Do take care.

plum August 30, 2007 at 11:42 am

I’m so sorry to hear this. I’m devoid of other words, I’m just sorry.

jo August 30, 2007 at 12:24 pm

From a stranger who reads your blog and feels like she knows you.. I am so sorry to hear about your mother. Such a difficult time for you. I’m glad you had a close relationship with her and appreciated your time spent together.

Patricia Scarpin August 30, 2007 at 12:50 pm

Jules,
I’m so, so, so sorry for your loss – I lost my mom to cancer when I was 7 and miss her everyday.
Take care.

Warm hugs,
Patricia.

Rasa Malaysia August 31, 2007 at 5:09 am

Sorry to hear that…my sincere condolences to you.

kirsten August 31, 2007 at 8:04 am

no words really to express adequately the profound loss you must be experiencing at this incredibly sad time. thoughts with you.

helen August 31, 2007 at 11:54 am

life is a funny old thing indeed. your mum sounded like an amazing woman. sincerest condolences and i’m sure she’d be pleased at her stylish send-off too

Darlene August 31, 2007 at 4:44 pm

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

c August 31, 2007 at 6:40 pm

Jules,
My heart hurts for you.
I had a friend that once described grief like a pit lined with thorns, everywhere you turn you find a prick or a jab of pain. She said that the only way she could lessen the pain was to feel it. With that thought in mind…I send over the sea to you lots of bandaids and a hug or two.
I wish you luck in this part of your journey and my thoughts are with you and your family.
~C

Deborah Dowd September 1, 2007 at 12:03 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about yor Mum. It sounds as if you have what you need to make it through such a time- loving, close family, and to begin by celebrating her life is the first step toward healing.

Avatar September 2, 2007 at 1:48 am

My deepest sympathies and condolences to you and your loved ones. Your Mum sounds like a lovely woman… may she rest in peace.

jenjen September 2, 2007 at 10:17 am

Jules, I’m so sorry about your loss. It’s hard to know what to say when such an event happens but hope you know that you and your family are in our thoughts.

Y September 3, 2007 at 12:22 pm

Shocked. So very very sorry to hear about your mother passing.

Kirsty September 3, 2007 at 2:46 pm

I’m so sorry to hear that. I love reading your blog and thought I’d step out of the shadows to say hello and condolences.

Lucy September 3, 2007 at 2:47 pm

Oh Jules, how awful. Best wishes to help you through your loss.

Michael September 4, 2007 at 1:25 am

So sorry to hear about your mum. Take care of yourself and your family.