[dropcap style=”font-size: 60px; color: #00adef;”] A[/dropcap] few weeks ago my Irishman was telling Fergal about the time he had his first real Italian pizza. In Napoli. I was surprised to hear him say that his favourite topping then (and now) was sausage and broccoli.
Which got me thinking. I love sausage and broccoli.
But pizza not so much.
Why not make a broccoli bowl with sausages and chilli and some roast nuts for crunch?
And here it is.
I’ve put the anchovies as optional but they really add amazing depth of flavour without tasting ‘fishy’.
Try them (even if you’re not a big anchovy on pizza fan).
They cook into the sauce and are so so good. I promise ;)
Sausage Chilli & Broccoli Bowls
- 2 small heads broccoli approx 600g / 1.3lb
- 2-4 sausages
- 4 anchovies optional
- 4 serrano or thai birds eye chilli peppers
- handful roast nuts 50g /2oz
- 2-4 tablespoons mayo
- Bring about 1cm (1/2) salted water to the boil in a medium saucepan. Chop broccoli into bite sized pieces and add to the pot. Cover and simmer on a medium high heat for 5 minutes.
- When the broccoli is tender. Drain.
- Return the pot to the heat and add a good glug of olive oil. Add crumbled sausage meat (skins removed), anchovies (if usinand chillies. Cook, stirring for a few minutes or until the sausage meat is well browned. Stir in drained broccoli.
- Taste and season with salt as needed (you may not from the anchovies and sausage).
- Divide sausage and broccoli mix between two bowls. Top with mayo and nuts.
NET CARBS: 26g/serve
WINE MATCH: A nice Italian red like Sangiovese.
Sausage, Chilli & Broccoli Bowls Variations & Substitutions
short on time – cook sausage in a separate pan at the same time as the broccoli.
Keto / ultra low carb – replace broccoli with kale or spinach. Use macadamias as your nuts.
vegetarian – sausages = chickpeas or lentils.
nut-free – extra mayo or shaved parmesan.
more substantial (carb lovers) – cooked pasta or warm flat bread.
more substantial (low carb) – more nuts. more sausage. more mayo. Sauerkraut.
Low FODMAP – don’t use the broccoli stems. use macadamias as your nuts.
family-friendly – skip the chilli. Serve with pizza ;)
different vegetables – you can sub any cooked veg for the cooked broccoli. I’m thinking sauteed cabbage or roast cauliflower would be particularly amazing. But zucchini or asparagus are also fab.
different protein – lentils, chickpeas, poached egg, scrambled egg, cooked chicken, smoked fish, tuna, chorizo.
Yes! Just cook as per the recipe but keep the mayo and nuts separately. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or can be frozen. To serve, warm in a pan with a little oil.
More Recipes Like Sausage, Broccoli & Chilli Bowls
- Bloody Delicious Kale Bowls
- Fast Friday Cheeseburger Bowls
- Taco Tuesday Bowls
- Salmon, Pea & Feta Bowls
- Smoked Trout & Broccoli Bowls
- Smoky Eggplant & Sausage Bowls
- Smoky Roast Mushroom Bowls
- Quick Tuna Curry Bowls
- Have You Tried Abundance Bowls?
Have fun in the kitchen!