Whenever I post a recipe like this quick Halloumi & Rocket Salad with ‘rocket’ in it, I always get funny comments and questions.
So in case you’re wondering, ‘rocket’ from the French ‘rocquette’ is the same as ‘arugula’ which is the Italian name.
Nothing to do with space craft I’m afraid.
While I love the sharp pepperiness of wild rocket (arugula) with the cheesy halloumi, any salad greens will work here.
Quick Halloumi & Rocket Salad
- 2tablespoonslemon juice
- 2tablespoonsextra virgin olive oil
- 1-3chillies eg. serrano or thai birds eyeoptional
- 1packethalloumi cheese 300g / 10oz
- 1bag rocket (arugula)
- Combine lemon, 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil and sliced chillies, if using, in a large bowl.
- Heat a little more olive oil in a frying pan on a medium high heat. Slice halloumi into slices about 5mm (1/4in) thick and pan fry on both sides until deeply golden, about 2 minutes each side.
- Toss leaves in the dressing and divide between two plates. Top with the hot halloumi and serve ASAP
Variations for Quick Halloumi & Rocket Salad
carnivore / dairy-free / paleo – replace halloumi with chicken breasts or steak and adjust the cooking time accordingly.
pescetarian – replace halloumi with a salmon fillet.
different cheese – halloumi is a wonderful cheese that grills superbly, going lovely and golden without melting all over the place. If you can’t get your hands on halloumi, feta can be used but be careful of the saltiness!
no ‘rocket’? – use whatever salad greens you prefer.
vegan – replace halloumi with 4 field or portabello mushrooms. Slice and pan fry in oil until lovely and golden. Serve scattered with roasted pine nuts or drizzled with tahini to make it a bit more substantial.
carb lovers / more substantial – toss in torn sourdough chunks and double the dressing.
more substantial (low carb) – grilled zucchini + roast almonds.
Waste Avoidance Strategy
lemon – keeps in a plastic bag in the fridge for months.
chillies – freeze.
halloumi – keeps in the freezer in its packaging for months. Can be frozen.
rocket leaves – best to use for another meal.
Recipes similar to Quick Halloumi & Rocket Salad
- Best Broccoli Salad, Ever.
- Big Bistro Kale Salad
- Spiced Roast Chicken & Cauliflower Salad with Tahini Maple Dressing
- Halloumi + Cabbage Hash
- Green Chicken Bowls with Pine Nut Mayo
- Bloody Delicious Kale Bowls
- Zucchini ‘Noodle’ & Pesto Salad
Have fun in the kitchen!