the secret ingredient – how to scramble eggs like tetsuya

scrambled eggs eggs

So you want to know what my prediction is for the new hottest brunch ingredient?

Two words – creamed. corn.

Now before you start thinking that Jules is loosing it and reverting to her childhood in the oh-so-ugly 1970s, I’d better come clean about my sources. You see last week I was extremely lucky to be invited to attend a masterclass by Tetsuya in his new classroom kitchen fitted out by Electrolux. And the first thing Australia’s most famous chef demonstrated was the humble scrambled egg.

You just can’t help but love Tets. So humble and although he professes to be shy – so fun and engaging. Not to mention talented. I think he’s pipped Ferran Adria from the lofty position of my favourite chef.

Now I thought I knew how to scramble an egg like the best of them, but I was happy to learn some new tricks. As Tetsuya says, everything tastes better with ricotta and parmesan. I couldn’t agree more. Apart from the flavour boost, the ricotta lightens the texture and even if you have to let the eggs get cold they’ll still be soft and edible.

But the most surprising revelation of the evening was the creamed corn. And yes I’m talking out of a can. It adds a certain something to your eggs. It’s a subtle sweetness with a hint of corn – quite mild. I don’t think I would have tasted the corn if I hadn’t known it was in there. But these eggs are seriously good and I’m pretty sure the corn is key. If it’s good enough for Tetsuya it’s good enough for me.

If you’re wondering – the eggs came from my cousin’s farm. They sell eggs at the Canberra Markets every weekend. If you happen to be in the capital be sure to drop by and tell them I said hi. And that is their actual colour. No photoshopping here. And yes they were delicious for my lunch today.

scrambled eggs

[5 ingredients | 10 minutes]
tetsuya’s scrambled eggs

If you’re not into corn, you could always serve the eggs without or take it to a new level with some crab meat or cooked prawns.

The best thing about scrambled eggs is that you can cook for as few or as many people as you like and they’ll be fine.

Apart from adding some lovely creamy cheesiness, the ricotta makes a massive difference to the texture of your eggs. So even if you overcook them a little they’ll still be moist and soft.

Tets also uses cream in his eggs which does add to the richness. And he uses a combination of butter and olive oil in the pan at the beginning. My version is a bit more simple and waistline-friendly but no less delicious.

I’d forgotten how some people are sensitive to undercooked eggs. Had to laugh when fellow blogger Peter G from Souvlaki for the Soul was worried that Tetsuya’s eggs were a bit on the ‘snotty’ side.

2T butter
4 free range eggs, lighly whisked with a fork
4T canned creamed corn
large handful parmesan cheese, grated
4T ricotta

Melt butter in a small saucepan over a medium heat.

Add eggs, corn and parmesan and cook stirring almost constantly until the eggs are clumpy and still a bit fluid or until cooked to your liking.

Stir through ricotta and serve with toast and a green salad.

scrambelled eggs
______________________________________________________________

To win a place at the next Tetsuya masterclass check out the Electrolux website. Good luck(!)

on breadshoes: omerta darlinghurst

Shane March 8, 2010 at 6:11 pm

Sounds absolutely wonderful. I must try it – but what wine could I have with it?

jules March 8, 2010 at 6:13 pm

it is the good shane. good question on the vino. I’m thinking champagne or sparkling white would be prefect for brunch. Or a fresh young white like a riesling or a semillon or even a lightly oaked chardonnay.

Claire March 8, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Yum once more. Had perfect poached eggs on the weekend – is there anything more wonderful than well cooked eggs. And I don’t mean well cooked as in hard – I’d probably err on the snotty side for scrambled.. (what a lovely mental picture you’ve given me..)

jules March 8, 2010 at 6:30 pm

I’m completely with you claire – a good egg is a thing of beauty. and I’m quite partial to a little snottiness myself as well

Mark @ Cafe Campana March 8, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Creamed corn in scrambled eggs still seems weird to me. I wonder how he came up with the combination.

Ali March 8, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Sounds like a great combo and a great experience.

Laura March 8, 2010 at 7:51 pm

We put freshly grated parmesan in ours, and if we’re feeling really indulgent – cream.
Might have to try to sneak in the creamed corn next time, too :)

Peter G @ Souvlaki For The Soul March 8, 2010 at 9:16 pm

I actually loved his eggs…but yes initially I was worried about them being a little “runny”, to use a much friendlier word…LOL! Thanks for the other night Jules. It was a whole lot of fun seeing you again.

Em March 8, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Thankyou Jules! I must try this one, although I will probably overcook them – not very keen on rooster juice, but I have a soft spot for creamed corn :)

barbara March 8, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Hi Jules lovely to meet after all this time. Here are the red shoes :) – the sexy and the sensible.

Simon Food Favourites March 8, 2010 at 9:53 pm

thanks for the tip. i’ll have to remember to get some cream corn for my weekend scrambled eggs. would work a treat! :-)

Joana March 8, 2010 at 10:07 pm

i don´t think in Brasil we have ready canned cream corn… would have to make some to try in the eggs…
but i´ll at least try with ricotta!

Nao March 9, 2010 at 6:49 am

Love it! Love it! Love it! Yummy!!

Everything DOES tate better with cheese!
xoxo

Villag Feast March 9, 2010 at 8:58 am

My mum used to make omelette with creamed corn and it was always delicious. I have never thought to add a bit to scrambled eggs but I love the idea, will definitely try.

bron March 9, 2010 at 9:05 am

Hi Jules,
Thank you for visiting Crookwell last week. I used to make scrambled eggs with the corn thing happening and fresh parsley. Go a couple of steps further and ad some self raising flour and a dash of milk to make corn fritters. These are also a hit served with crispy bacon and sourcream on the side. Keep up the amazing recipes and blogging. Bron.

spice and more March 9, 2010 at 10:06 am

How unusual. I must give it a try. Who know where opening that can (of creamed corn) will take us now… :)

Helen (grabyourfork) March 9, 2010 at 11:35 am

I don’t think any of us expected to see creamed corn when we started whipping up the scrambled eggs. A clever trick and one I must try out soon!

LPC March 9, 2010 at 4:50 pm

I was just looking at a recipe for a Chinese soup with crab and creamed corn, and thinking, “Really? Creamed corn?” Thank you.

jules March 9, 2010 at 6:40 pm

LPC
I’ve had chinese creamed corn soup – it’s surprisingly good

helen
you have to try them!

spice and more – good point – creamed corn watch out world

pleasure bron, I really enjoyed it. and I love corn fritters – thanks for reminding me of them

village feast – of course omelette with creamed corn would also be wonderful

words to live by nai nai – everything does taste better with cheese

joana
no creamed corn – wow. You could cook some fresh corn and puree it up to a chunky paste if you wanted to

barbara
so lovey to meet you as well and big thankyou for the pic – great to see our shoes online!

peter G – you are too funny – was great to see you again

mark – I’m thinking it was inspired by the chinese creamed corn and crab soup which has a heap of egg in it. and if tetsuya can’t convince you that creamed corn is going to work – noone will I’m thinking

Anh March 10, 2010 at 7:57 am

Oh, so creamed corn is the secret! How fun!

Johanna GGG March 10, 2010 at 9:59 am

I love cream corn so I imagine this is a good addition – in fact E and I have been discussing how to scramble eggs as I don’t do eggs – never having liked them – but am trying to offer them to sylvia – and I think the ricotta is a great idea I must try

Toi March 10, 2010 at 10:32 am

i think ricotta and/or parm is always good in eggs. but creamed corn? i still can’t really wrap my brain around it. i suppose if you like creamed corn at all, you might like it in eggs. but i dont even like creamed corn alone.

betty March 10, 2010 at 1:25 pm

CREAMED CORN HEY? SOUNDS VERY VERY INTERESTING!

Jeanette March 10, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Mark me as another who won’t be trying their eggs with creamed corn……or any other food for that matter, I hate that stuff.

Memoria March 10, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Wow. I have never tried scrambled eggs with creamed corn, but this sounds very intriguing and delicious. Lovely photos!

Icyone March 11, 2010 at 10:58 am

I love eggs, not fond of creamed corn (we had lots of gross names when we were kids) but I can see how this would work. Hope I can wait till morning to give it a try.

Dan Wilson March 12, 2010 at 12:12 pm

I have to say this is fantastic … splash of salt, touch of pepper … fantastic …

Mark @ Cafe Campana March 13, 2010 at 9:41 am

Jules. I gave these eggs a try this morning for breakfast. They are unlike any scrambled eggs I have ever had. You are right, they’re good! I don’t think they could replace regular scrambled eggs on my breakfast plate but they are great served on their own. I’m going to keep this in my back pocket for mid-week brinner.

Dan Wilson March 15, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Well … after I tried this the first time I did it again … I still had some creamed corn left over and added a scallion and flat leaf parsley to the works with some bacon (on the side) … mmmm good … thanks

Dan Wilson March 16, 2010 at 5:36 am

Thought I’d add one more note … I didn’t notice the cream initially but gave it a splash of half/n/half for the second try … I like to cook my eggs with subtle heat and let them go … (while watching the liquid dissipate and yes) … perfect … thanks again. Normally I wouldn’t cook eggs this long but with these ingredients it turned out to be foolproof …

Sami Murtaza June 13, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Looks good! going to give it a whirl!

Denise Balyoz June 14, 2011 at 4:04 am

Love this…must buy some creamed corn and ricotta to try it!

girlinafoodfrenzy March 3, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Hi Jules, thanxs so much for sharing this wonderful recipe with us :) I have made them with some success and was hoping to (share a link) to the recipe with my readers? Of course, I’d like to ask you first! Thanxs again!

Carolyn June 2, 2012 at 11:24 pm

I tried this recipe without the ricotta & corn because I didn’t have any of those ingredients. Did it last minute. But hey, you did mention in another blog where you shouldn’t plan ahead, right? ;)

So the recipe without those two ingredients still tasted great! I just added too much milk so it was extremely soft & I only added one of the egg yolks. Next time, I will try making this again with all the ingredients and see how it’ll taste.

I look forward to using every one of your “50 healthy, 10 minute recipes.” I need to start learning as I am a 24-year-old who can’t really cook or make delicious meals. Thanks for the great recipe =)

jules June 6, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Good work on not planning Carolyn!
Glad you’re enjoying stonesoup :)