super simple carrot soup – the new pumpkin [5 ingredients]

carrot soup baby carrots

Pumpkin soup. Such a wonderful comforting winter treat. Smooth and slightly sweet, with its warming sunny colour it’s one of those soups that can’t help but lift your spirits as the days draw short and dark.

The only problem is the pumpkin preparation. In particular hacking through that tough, tough skin. I have a really vivid memory from when I was little of my mother struggling to cut through a giant Queensland blue pumpkin. I remember thinking that this cooking thing sure looked like a lot of work. And when there’s pumpkin to prepare, I still hold that opinion.

So I can’t tell you how excited I was the other day when I sat down to a simple lunch of carrot soup only to be greeted with a steaming bowl of sunshine and sweetness with just the right amount of savouriness to balance it out. We’re talking a soup just as good as my beloved pumpkin but without the work.

To be honest I didn’t have very high hopes for this soup before I tasted it. I’d picked up a bunch of baby carrots with the intention of using them for something where they would be the star of the show. Flicking through St Nigel’s vegetable bible, there wasn’t a heap of options jumping out until I spied his carrot soup. It met the criteria for being vegetarian and showcasing my carrots. It would do.

We’re talking a soup that far exceeds expectations. And is super simple to prepare – I’d much rather make light work of chopping through scrubbed baby carrots than hacking into a pumpkin. So when you’re in the mood for some mood enhancing pumpkin soup, why not try out my baby carrot instead?

carrot soup

[5 ingredients]
baby carrot soup

serves 3-4

Inspired by Nigel Slater (yes – still obsessed) in Tender Volume 1 – A cook and his vegetable patch.

If you can’t get your hands on baby carrots, regular carrots will be fine. You need about 450g or 1lb carrots.

If you prefer a creamy accompaniment to your pumpkin soup, you’ll probably enjoy a little splodge of sour cream or pouring cream in this soup but to be honest it’s lovely without. I like mine with some crusty sourdough slathered in butter.

The soy sauce might seem a little odd here but it really works to bring more than just saltiness to balance out the sweet carrots.

2 brown onions, diced
1 bunch baby carrots, scrubbed, trimmed & chopped
1 x 400g (14oz) tin tomatoes
pinch dried chilli flakes, optional
2-3T soy sauce

Heat 4T olive oil in a large saucepan and cook onion over a medium heat until soft and just starting to brown. Add carrots, tomato, chilli and 3C water and bring to the boil.

Simmer until carrots are tender, approx 20 minutes.

Process until smooth with a stick blender or food processor. Add 2T soy and taste. Season with salt, pepper and extra soy if needed.

__________________________________________________________________

Subscribe to stonesoup by email or RSS to receive your free updates published twice a week.

And don’t miss out on picking up a copy of my new ebook – the food lovers guide to barcelona today before it goes back to full price.

Saundra August 20, 2011 at 1:00 am

Just made this today. Wow. I am impressed. In the saute pan, I did add two cloves of chopped garlic with the onion. I did have to cook the soup a little longer before blending it with some skim milk in the blender. I am bringing this batch of soup to work tomorrow and I am making another batch to take to church. I was given 7 pounds of baby carrots. So this is a great recipe to use them in! Thanks.

SP
Orlando, Florida USA

Vilborg August 22, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Dear Jules,
I follow your food blog with interest and like it very much. In your recipies you use the T for teaspoon but what does C stand for? Can or … ?
Best wishes from Iceland,
Vilborg

jules August 22, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Hi Vilborg

Actually T is tablespoon and t is teaspoon… C = cup. I’ve stopped abbreviating like this in my more recent recipes to avoid confusion. Very excited to be having someone in Iceland reading Stonesoup!

Amy August 31, 2011 at 11:00 am

@Shira, I’m making this now and I’m running into the same problem – I’ve chopped my baby carrots into little rounds and 20 minutes wasn’t enough to get them blendable. I’m boiling it a bit more, and I’ll try again. Also – do not do what I am doing and use a hand mixer. Even with draping a tea towel over it, it’s still a mess.

So far though, I’ve tasted the chunky results and it is wonderful.
Thank you!

jules September 1, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Amy
Hope the soup turned out OK for you…
Just what sort of mixer are you trying to blend with?
It sounds like you’re using a hand mixer with beaters from the mess situation… which will be problematic.

What you need is a stick blender – one of those hand held devices with a little blade on the bottom – you really need a blade to get a good puree – beaters like you would use to whip cream or eggwhites aren’t going to break things up enough…

Would love to hear how you got on!

Willem September 3, 2011 at 3:03 am
monica zion September 7, 2011 at 12:47 am

Made it for my daycare kids. Added some corn kernels and chopped turkey to give it some chunks. Everyone loved it even the pickiest 2 year old! !

Amy September 10, 2011 at 3:41 am

Jules, That’s exactly my problem. Until I get a stick blender, I’ll keep making this as a really nice side dish and not try to blend it at all. I love the flavor the soy sauce adds.

Thank you for the recpie!

jules September 14, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Amy
I would never have thought of serving as a side.. very creative solution!

Heather Johns October 4, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I made this soup tonight and was disappointed. I think that it was a little too strong for my taste, even after adding milk.

janette October 10, 2011 at 4:31 am

why not try a blender may be that will work.

Jason Baker October 13, 2011 at 2:28 am

Instead of soy sauce I add 3 chicken bouillon cubes and 2 teaspoons of red curry powder. I love your recipe , yum !

jules October 13, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Heather
So sorry you didn’t enjoy the soup.. did you say it had too much flavour? You know one of the great things about soup is you can always dilute them with water :)

Amy October 21, 2011 at 7:29 am

Update – I got my stick blender and that could not have been easier. Hardly any mess at all. It tastes wonderful and it’s perfect for the rainy weather we’ve been having.
Thanks!

Sandra October 27, 2011 at 8:18 pm

A friend passed on your website after hearing me complain about my inability (and ensuing frustration) to cook easy wholesome meals. I gave this carrot soup and the curried tofu a try today – I AM HOOKED! Ok, so I went a little crazy with the red pepper flakes, but other than that they were both absolutely delicious :) Thank you for your site, book and blog!

Greetings from Singapore,
Sandra

Dia November 1, 2011 at 5:54 am

Carrot soup fills me up with nice memories of a Colombian Vegan restaurant my mom used to take us to as kids… Coincidentally, I went to Aspen, Co. and tried a carrot soup which had a little ginger blended in… Gave it a nice zing! I almost tasted cinnamon too! Yummm!

Bon appetite everyone!

Karen January 18, 2012 at 10:42 am

Dear Jules,

Do you have to use brown onions I couldn’t find any at the store? Do you use whole tomatoes? I can’t wait to try this recipe! I LOVE carrots!! And love your website and recipes! Thank you for sharing!!!!

jules January 18, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Hi Karen
Any onions will work.. I shouldn’t have been so specific. And I use whole canned tomatoes because I think they tend to be better quality. Enjoy!
J

Paul January 28, 2012 at 12:09 am

Jules,

I just stumbled on your website from a link on annarbor.com and I’m very excited to try a few of your soups… but I would like to purchase a stick blender to get a good puree could you recommend one…

jules January 30, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Paul
Welcome to Stonesoup!
I have a bamix which I really love… In the past I’ve had cheap plastic stick blenders and they usually burn the motor out in a year so I think it’s worth paying more upfront.. hope that helps
J

Orsi February 7, 2012 at 9:39 am

Dear Jules,
We had your carrot soup today and it was the most delicious soup we ever had (I followed the recipe word by word) thanks, O

jules February 8, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Orsi!
So glad you enjoyed! Thanks for letting me know :)

Tennille Chase February 26, 2012 at 5:52 pm

I have had an excess of carrots in my fridge for a few weeks now because I tend to buy bags when they are real cheap and use them for everything. Have a few hungry men over this weekend and thought to cook my own lunch for the next few days so I can get out of there hair and for them to make their own lunches XD Perfect, made a batch the night before…

Love this site especially since I am on a tight centerlink budget at the moment. It is fantastic and healthy and it has me cooking a few meals at once using some of the same ingredients. who doesn’t love that.

- ECHUCA -VICTORIA.

Tracey March 12, 2012 at 9:18 am

Excellent recipe! I shall make it again to impress my next weekend guest! Thank you!

Carla at The Soupstache March 24, 2012 at 6:46 am

This soup makes my mouth water! I’ve been looking for something to make with my big bag of carrots. Thanks for the recipe!

jules March 28, 2012 at 8:58 am

PLeasure Carla!

kimberley March 26, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Can you freeze this soup?

jules March 28, 2012 at 8:51 am

Absolutely Kimberley!

hazel suay April 3, 2012 at 8:03 pm

my madam was on holiday,,, then time they come back i must need to cook for them, espicially my two lovely kids. but inside my freidge is just a carrot only. and a chicken stock….. when i found this recipe i quickly cook it……its very simple but its really delicious,,,my madam say,,,, amazing soup, my lovely kids very enjoy to their dinner…..thank for super simple carrot soup

Joanne Richards April 23, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I juist made this & was pleasantly surprised-I didn’t want to wait for the carrots to be super-soft so I used the stick blender at 18mins because I don’t mind a chunky soup! I thought the flavour quite nice but added a teaspoon of honey to sweeten it & served it with a small drizzle of cream & a sprig of basil-yum :) Next time I’ll add some garlic too!

Joanne Richards April 29, 2012 at 5:45 am

Wow-I forgot to mention how much better this soup is in a day or two-right up there with the best I’ve ever made. Definitely make it in advance!

Alessia Grech May 7, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Hi I am from Malta and I’m gonna try out this recipe tonight :))

Bethany July 12, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Made this tonight and will make it again. I liked it as is, but it’s a pretty simple recipe and most of my family kicked it up a notch with some Tony’s Creole seasoning. :)

simon July 22, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Hello
I have found the answer to the pumpkin peeling problem is to use a sharp meat cleaver or similar weighty chopper; gives more leverage. Just preparing the carrot soup now ( I use my chopper on them too )
regards

jules July 23, 2012 at 10:08 am

Great idea Simon
Glad to hear your cleaver is getting is good workout on carrots too!

Marie August 22, 2012 at 12:17 am

I made this soup today and it was a real hit. So simple to make, but so tasty! Using a lot less water and minus the soy sauce I could actually see this making a nice alternative to pasta sauce. Delicious soup. Thanks Jules.

jules August 23, 2012 at 12:19 pm

You’re welcome Marie!
So glad you liked it.
I hadn’t ever thought to turn it into a sauce.. great ideas

Mickey September 19, 2012 at 10:06 am

Just made this soup added some corn from a corn on the cob I had it was real yummy and easy Thanks Mickey From Streamwood

Emil Wolff November 27, 2012 at 8:15 am

Wauv, i gonna try this recipe when i have emptied my refrigerator. This blog looks like the answers to all my problems! i love the idea about few ingredients. It’s always a problem for a poor student like me to look up recipies because you have to get so many ingredients. Thx

jules December 4, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Hope you like it Emil!

Petr Porizek March 22, 2013 at 8:41 am

Hi,

this is exactly i was looking for. I am going to make this tomorrow.

Thanks a lot