rustic sourdough: the secret to making amazing bread at home
[5 ingredients | simple baking]

rustic homemade sourdough bread rustic homemade sourdough bread and butter

This post has been a long time in the making. Back in March when my Irishman and I decided to give it another go, we came up with a brilliant plan. We would try and swing things so we could live 3 weeks every month in the snowy mountains where my Irishman works and spend the other week based in Sydney. All my life I’ve dreamed of having the balance between city and country living. I couldn’t believe we’d figured it out so soon.

All my life I’ve also dreamed of being able to bake amazing bread. So with this move to country living, with no access to good local bread, the time was right. My first port of call was the wonderful Bourke Street Bakery cookbook to get my sourdough culture going. And while the results were OK, flavourwise. The texture was no where near as light and airy as I would have liked. Plus it was wickedly time consuming kneading each loaf for half an hour.

For a week or so I battled with my minimalist tendencies to not acquire any more kitchen equipment and the need for a stand mixer with a dough hook to improve my bread making attempts. And then I had a stroke of genius. Years ago Mark Bittman had written about a no-knead bread that the blogosphere went a bit crazy about. Maybe that was the solution?

My first attempt, using yeast was so wonderful. I almost couldn’t believe that I’d been able to make such a gorgeously imperfect loaf. Actually it starred in a post I wrote about living on $2 a day.

The next logical step was to take this method and convert it to a sourdough recipe. And the rest is history really.

sourdough bread video

rustic homemade sourdough
makes 1 loaf

In the early days of your starter you can use it for the extra flavour but you’ll need to use 1/4 teaspoon dried yeast to work it’s magic. But once your starter is active and bubbling away, you can ditch the yeast. Just make sure you don’t put any of the commercial yeasted dough near your starter or these stronger strains will takeover. Good idea to always use a clean spoon when making your starter.

I prefer to use unbleached, stone ground organic bread flour and filtered water, but I’ve also used supermarket flour with great results.

325g (11oz) bread flour
200g (8oz) sourdough starter, recipe below
275g (10oz) water
1 teaspoon find grained salt
semolina, optional

1. In a large bowl combine flour, starter, water and salt until just mixed together.

2. Cover with cling wrap and leave overnight for at least 8 but preferably 12 hours.

3. Form your loaf. Place a generous amount of flour on your kitchen counter. Scoop dough out onto the flour then sprinkle generously with more flour. Gently fold the edges from the outside in to form a round loaf.

4. Place more flour on a clean tea towel. Place loaf with the rough top side down. Sprinkle with semolina, if using, or more flour. Cover.

5. Place a large oven proof dish with a lid in the oven. Preheat oven and the pan to the highest setting for at least 1/2 hour.

6. Carefully remove the hot pan from the oven. Remove lid. Sprinkle a little semolina, if using in the base of the pan. Gently place loaf in the pan inverted so that the rougher surface is now on top. Don’t worry about smoothing it out or having it centered – it will work itself out in the oven.

7. Pop the lid back on and bake for 30 minutes.

8. Remove the lid and turn the oven down to 200C (400F) bake for a further 15 minutes until the loaf is deep brown.

9. Cool on a wire rack uncovered for at least 30mintues if you can wait that long.

rustic homemade yeasted bread
makes 1 loaf

The method is basically the same, but instead of the starter you just use more flour and water and some yeast. This is a great way to see how wonderful homemade bread can be.

425g (15oz) bread flour
375g (14oz) water
1 teaspoon find grained salt
1/4 teaspoon dried yeast
semolina, optional

1. Follow method above but add the yeast at the same time as the salt in step 1.

how to make a sourdough starter video

sourdough starter

From day 3 you can start using your sourdough starter to add flavour to your bread and keep supplementing it with yeast until it is active enough to go it alone.

Once you have the starter established, just keep it in the fridge and feed it about twice a week, or more often if you’re making bread regularly. If you need to go on holidays you can give it a massive feed but I wouldn’t be keen to leave it for longer than a week. You’ll know if it dies because you’ll get awful looking mould growing on the top. It happened to my first culture. But don’t stress if you have a starter death on your hand. You’ve made it once you can make it again.

This would be a great project to do with children. It’s like having a new pet that doesn’t need toilet training!

The wonderful flavour of great sourdough is a result of particular strains of lactic acid bacteria. To encourage these little creatures to grow in your culture, I like to use natural yoghurt. But if you wanted to keep it dairy free you could skip the yoghurt or use a few organic grapes.

bread flour
water
natural yoghurt

day 1: In a clean bowl or jar, mix together 50g (2oz) flour, 50g (2oz) water and 2 tablespoons organic natural yoghurt. Cover with cling wrap and leave somewhere warm.

day 2: Using a clean spoon, add 100g (4oz) flour and 100g (4oz) water. Mix to combine. Recover and leave in a warm place.

day 3: Today you can make your first loaf. But you’ll need to use some yeast as well. When you’ve removed 200g starter. Replenish with 100g (4oz) flour and 100g (4oz) water. Mix to combine. Recover and leave in a warm place.

day 4 onwards: Remove 200g starter and either use it to make bread or throw it away. Using a clean spoon replace with 100g (4oz) flour and 100g (4oz) water. Mix to combine. Recover and leave in a warm place

somewhere between about day 10 and day 15
Your starter should start to show signs of life. Basically it will start to bubble. When this happens you can stop using the yeast in with your bread. And you can start to keep the starter in the fridge and stop feeding it everyday. Aim to feed it (remove 200g (8oz) and replace with 100g (4oz) each flour and water) twice a week or more often if you’re baking more frequently.

rustic homemade sourdough bread & butter
___________________________________________________________________

Have had a wonderful response to my Stonesoup Virtual Cookery School. I have a mother and daughter signed up to learn together – maybe it’s something you could share with a loved one. The price covers everyone in your household. If you haven’t already done so, why not check out the very first class called Solve Your Dinner Dilemma starting October 24th.

{ 100 comments… read them below or add one }

chkee October 11, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Hi Jules, since I live in a very hot (32C) and humid (90%) country, I wonder if the starter will actually get “alive” faster?
By the way, how “warm” is your warm? :)
Thanks!

jules October 11, 2010 at 5:16 pm

absolutely!
warm is just normal room temp – ideally around 20C. For you, you might only need to let the dough rest for 6 hours – best to just do some trial and error

Antony Perring October 11, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Hi Jules.
Again a beautiful post, and thanks for the video.
I gave ginger beer a go last summer and loved having that slightly scary alien starter living in my kitchen. You’ve just inspired me to give the bread making a go – a different type of alien in the kitchen.
thanks for doing what you do with thestonesoup.

Wei-Wei October 11, 2010 at 7:56 pm

I was going to try to start a sourdough starter, but I don’t think that my family eats bread that much and plus, I’m not sure I like the flavour of sourdough. Heh. But I’ll give it a try as soon as I have more experience with sourdough… in eating it, at first. :D

jules October 11, 2010 at 10:24 pm

anthony
you’ve just reminided me I bookmarked nigel slater’s ginger beer recipe – brilliant idea swap

weiwei
If you like regular bread you could just try the yeasted version – it’s really awesome but less intense flavour – and you don’t need to faff around with the starter

Alexa @ Sohdalex October 11, 2010 at 11:06 pm

This bread looks great! I love the rustic look ;)

Rachel October 12, 2010 at 1:51 am

Thank you for the great bread making instructions! I’m about to move away from reliable bread supplies and need to learn how to make my own. This post is going to be very helpful!

sarah k. October 12, 2010 at 6:50 am

I just made my first loaf from the Bittman/Lahey recipe this week, and while I liked the simplicity of it, I made the mistake of trying to healthify it with some whole-grain flour. The result had a not-unpleasant flavor, slightly sour, but a strange, almost rubbery texture. It still went over well with the kids and spouse, but next time, if I want sandwich bread, I’ll just stick to my regular kneaded bread, and if I want a crusty loaf, I’ll try this one with only white flour!

jules October 12, 2010 at 7:03 am

hey sarah
I wonder if your wholegrain flour was not so fresh? because of the germ it’s more sensitive to rancidity which could have caused the sourness. But you’re right the texture is always heavier with wholegrain because there’s more fibre and less gluten.

pleasure rachel – you’re going to love this.

Zoe October 12, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Your timing is amazing jules. We have recently discovered the no-knead recipe in our house (only 5 years later than the rest of the world) and loved it. But 2 recent attempts to sour-dough-ify it were massive fails. I can’t wait to try your recipe and will report back when I do.

Ros October 12, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Zoe, absolutely agree about the perfect timing. I’ve been using the no knead all this year and I am a complete convert, but my only attempt at a sourdough take on the recipe was in brick territory. So this has arrived at exactly the right time. Need to rush…gotta feed the starter. :) ps Jules – recipe 2 of the Julie and Julia challenge – red lentils with tomato and spinach. Yum. Even yummier with some cumin.

Sayer October 13, 2010 at 9:31 am

Thank you for such a detailed post. I’ve been putting off sourdough for a while, but now I have no excuse.

Helen Andreatta October 13, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Jules- have tried your recipe today and I’m so thrilled with the result! Perfecto!!A neighbour gave me some of her sour dough starter so have this on hand. In the past, I was unable to achieve such a lovely oval shape to my loaf. My efforts looked as though it had been sat on. Now I have the answer!
As it so happens, I have an enamel pot which used to have a prisitine white interior, but after unitentionally leaving it on low gas all night, it’s now grey inside!! ( I’m sure that being cast iron ensured that our house didn’t go up in flames)
It’s in perfect working order and it now has a new use- our bread baker! I loved your very detailed instructions. I highly recommend this recipe- GO for it!!!

Brian October 13, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Wow,

What a pleasant surprise to find your site and blog this morning…thank you Jules! I look forward to digging in!
~Brian

rosalia October 14, 2010 at 12:43 am

jules,

i’ve read your posts for a while now & the food looks so beautiful & yummy. i just wanted to let you know that i can’t wait to try out your recipes after we move into our new place. i got very lucky in finding your site. thanxx for sharing your wisdom!

Free Recipes Online October 14, 2010 at 1:36 am

oh wow that does look good and the recipes seem easy so I’ll be giving it a try really soon. Thanks for sharing this with us.

jules October 14, 2010 at 7:32 am

Ros
Yes how good are the red lentils – keep me posted with how you go on the Ros|Jules project!

Helen
Yay – glad the bread worked well for you – how lucky are you to have a neighbour with a sourdough starter.

S@buttered-up October 14, 2010 at 2:54 pm

This is really cool. I’ve never made a sourdough starter despite wanting to learn for a while. I’ve used yeast a lot though to generally good results. Thanks for sharing. :)

mitch October 15, 2010 at 5:27 am

Hi,

I was browsing into your site and the making of sourdough bread seems really interesting and easy to make. Thank you for showing how to do it via video and I will try to make my own sourdough bread from now on ^_^

april October 17, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Hey, has anyone mentioned that the New York times and Cooks Illustrated has a brilliant video and recipe for “No-Knead Bread”? It is amazingly easy with no starter! I have made several loafs; the only deal is that I need to remember to make it the day before because it is best if it rises overnight. Thanks for just a great blog site!

Franci October 17, 2010 at 9:33 pm

OMG! It looks gorgeous! My sourdough makes usually very heavy breads even if I knead the dough for ages but you… in a couple of minutes made this wonder!

Anju October 20, 2010 at 2:55 am

Out of curiosity, just how large a dish did you use?

jules October 20, 2010 at 6:31 am

april
I hadn’t seen the video – thanks for sharing

franci
I know, I went through the whole kneading thing. You won’t look back!

anju
great question its a 26cm diameter pot but a slightly smaller one would be fine as well

Therese @ artistta October 21, 2010 at 6:03 am

Hi, Just found your site while looking for sourdough recipes. I’m curious, have you ever tried making this recipe with 100% whole wheat? I’m thinking of giving it a go this evening. I’ve been wanting a recipe that gives me a crunchy bread on the outside, but soft and chewy on the inside and this looks perfect.

If it works, I’m hoping I can share this recipe on my food blog soon.

Thanks and I”m glad I found your site!

jules October 21, 2010 at 7:28 am

Hi Terese
Yes I have made it with 100% whole wheat. The texture was a lot denser and the flavour more brany, but it wasn’t all bad – still had the rustic crust.

Therese @ artistta October 26, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Hi Jules, so I’ve now made this recipe several time with both white bread flour and whole wheat and LOVE them both. This was the perfect bread for a picnic loaf recipe I was sharing on my blog.

If you want to check out the post, here’s the link.

I gave you the credit and perhaps it will send some traffic your way. The post was actually for a food blogging contest I’m in. On my blog I focus on making everything or close to everything from scratch using as few processed ingredients as possible. This recipe was the first bread recipe that I found that actually gave me a delicious crunch on the outside and a soft chewy texture on the inside and was so easy to make. Truly perfect! I did do 1 1/2 times your recipe amount so my measurements are larger than yours. I needed a little larger loaf than what I got doing the recipe straight up.

Again thank you!

jules October 27, 2010 at 5:53 am

thanks for the feedback and the link terese.
So glad rhe bread worked out for you!

Rae October 29, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Jules,

I have tried to make the starter twice now and both times by day 4ish I get mold growing on the sides of the container. What am I doing wrong?

Rae

jules November 3, 2010 at 6:50 am

Rae

Sorry I’ve taken a while to get back to you.

This is mysterious the mould you have growing.

A few questions.
Are you covering your container with cling wrap or something?
Is your flour fresh? – That could be a source of the mould spores
Would the container previously have had any sources of mould spores? blue cheese?
Are you using yoghurt? And was it from a freshly opened container?
Do you get any other signs of life in your starter or is it just the mould growth?

Cheers
Jules

Majeeda November 7, 2010 at 12:53 pm

I’ll have to mark this for later use because I have always wanted to do a sour dough. I actually tried to make a starter once but it turned out putrid ): I don’t know what the issue was but I’ll give it a try with your instructions.

Is it usual for sour-dough to have such a long kneading time? I ask because I make other breads all the time and I probably do only 10-15 mins of kneading altogether. I like the sound of ‘no’ kneading though :P I can hardly believe it.

Jure Merhar November 7, 2010 at 11:38 pm

Hi, Jules,

Thanks for this amazing recipe! I don’t think I’ve ever eaten better bread. However, I might have taken your “don’t stress about the flour” comment a bit too literally.

I’ve only made this bread twice now, but I can already see that choosing the right flour (mixture) can make a world of difference. The first time, I used plain white flour only (http://goo.gl/EQO2S), and the bread was OK, but nothing special, really. So I decided to use rye flour (http://goo.gl/PQX7o) for my second loaf. I mixed 200g of rye flour with 225g of plain white flour, and added some seeds as well (linseed, pepita and sunflower seed mix). Wow! This time, it came out unbelievably good.

So far, I’ve only done the yeasted version, since I never thought I’d bake bread very often. Now, I’m seriously considering making a sourdough starter. :)

Greetings from Slovenia,
Jure

jules November 8, 2010 at 10:27 am

jure
glad you’ve been experimenting with differnt flour – the rye sounds lovely

majeeda
the reason for the super long proofing time is that we’re getting the dough ‘kneaded’ by the action of the yeast & bacteria producing the gas (CO2) and ‘stretching’ the dough – it’s such a wonderful alternative to hours of kneading

Chris November 17, 2010 at 3:05 pm

I discovered this recipe a couple weeks ago and I’ve been testing it out with different amounts of ingredients. I baked my first rustic loaf following your instructions and I haven’t been able to stop ever since. I know I should be expanding my knowledge and trying new things, but I’m in love with this. My bread consumption has never been this high. Who knew making bread could be so easy and rewarding. Thanks!

Amy November 19, 2010 at 4:45 am

So I’ve been trying to bake my first bread using a starter. I have a beautiful bubbling sourdough starter, and I baked a loaf that looked just stunning yesterday in my dutch oven. The inside was almost… spongy. It was extremely dry, and just overall bad. Very disappointing. Have you ever had this problem? How do you (and I) fix it?
Thanks so much for your help!

jules November 19, 2010 at 8:32 am

Hi Amy
That’s weird that the crumb was really dry – No I haven’t had that problem. It sounds like it was either overcooked or there wasn’t enough moisture in the dough to begin with.

If you’re sure you used the right amount of water, next time try baking at a lower temperature – maybe you have a super powerful oven – try setting at 230C (450F) for the first stage of baking and then turning down as per the recipe for the lid-off stage

jules November 19, 2010 at 8:32 am

ps. let me know how you get on

Stacy November 27, 2010 at 9:06 am

Hi Jules. A quick note from a fellow sydney-sider to thank you for your blog. It’s inspiring – amongst other things, you’ve got me making sourdough for the first time. For some reason my dough is beyond wet – practically liquid! – but after being chased around the countertop with a doughscraper and loads of extra flour it bakes up well. I’ll keep experimenting and I’m sure I’ll have a flat side and a folded side before too long :) Thanks so much for all your work and dedication – I’m off to buy your e-book.

jules November 30, 2010 at 10:32 pm

glad you’re enjoying stacy
it’s meant to be super liquid – that’s the secret
thanks for supporting stonesoup!

Renee December 2, 2010 at 4:42 am

Hi Jules,
I make the no-knead all the time with yeast. But I’ve tried twice to make this with the starter and both times I end up with flour soup hours later, which cannot be formed into a loaf for baking. When I make this recipe with the yeast, it starts out looking like a wet dough which later forms the loaf. The a lot of irregularity in the consistency of starter so it’s difficult to determine how much water to add. Do you have any tricks for this issue?

jules December 2, 2010 at 6:54 am

Hi Renee
That’s strange. I haven’t come across this problem – I’ve made it both ways.

Although it sounds like your starter isn’t active enough to produce the gas needed to form a loaf. Is your starter bubbling and looking like it’s fermenting?

If you’re a bit unsure you can add a tiny pinch of commercial yeast to the bread and still use the starter. You’ll still get flavour benefits from the starter but the commercial yeast will make sure you get enough gas production to get things happening.

Let me know how you get on!

Stacy December 4, 2010 at 11:10 am

I was having the same problem with the sourdough recipe as Renee – the dough was so wet it was all I could do to stop it running off the counter with a doughscraper, and had to work in at least another cup of flour at the loaf-forming stage to be able to handle it at all. Maybe there’s something in common with the flour we’re using? (I have none of your expertise in this Jules!) But for what it’s worth, I’ve fixed it by increasing the flour to about 350g, and it’s working beautifully – I make all of our bread at home using this recipe with the tiny flour quantity adjustment. Notwithstanding possible starter problems, maybe worth a go?

jules December 4, 2010 at 9:11 pm

thanks for sharing stacy
glad to hear you’ve found something that works for you.
it could be a flour thing – different flours definitely absorb water at different rates. I have tried a few different flours but I guess at the end of the day they’re all australian so not exactly exhaustive – although will be keen to try this when I’m in the northern hemisphere next year.

Craig B Buttle December 18, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Thanks for the inspirition to have a go at the $2.00 meal, it works I currently spend $28.00 per fortnight on bread, marg, vegemite and milk, having Vinnies provide some food, but hey thats is Ok, I am better and more energetic riding a bike too, having moved into a country house at Launching place vic. Most of the rest of my capital goes into my business, saving up for a car.

jules December 22, 2010 at 8:27 pm

wow craig
$28/fortnight is pretty amazing…
good luck with saving for the car!

Alicia January 4, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Hi!
Thanks for the great recipe, except i also had the same issue with a very runny dough. The bread turned out to be very moist and had an almost crumpet-like texture…
do you know the reason for this? is it because the dough was so wet, or did i just not bake it for long enough?

Lois Kramer January 15, 2011 at 8:04 am

Thanks for posting the sourdough recipe. We have been having delicious bread for the past week. I will post a picture of some creative things I did with the recipe. We really enjoy fresh garlic, pepperoni, jalapenos, olives, herbs, etc. in the bread to make it extra great.

I do have a question: Do you have any other recipes for using the starter? Would be nice for a new twist. Can it be used in something sweet or is that defeating the purpose of the sourdough taste. Thanks….

jules January 18, 2011 at 3:51 pm

alicia
the dough is meant to be super runny. not sure about the crumpet texture though… have you tried it with a longer baking time?

lois
so glad you’re loving the sourdough. I’m actually planning on running a breadmaking class in March that will look at different variations including a sourdough fruit loaf. http://stonesoupvirtualcookeryschool.com/calendar/

Elisa gollatz January 27, 2011 at 11:22 am

Hi Jules,
I love this recipe! I have only made it with fresh milled hard white flour. I mill it on a pastry flour setting so much of the graininess is gone. It also makes a great rye as well if you substitute 1/3 of the hard white flour for fresh milled rye flour and add some caraway seeds.
It is exactly what I have been searching for! -Finally a recipe for artisan style bread using only fresh milled flour!
Mmmmm!
My family and I thank you!

Vintage Macaroon January 29, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Very inspiring. I like your videos, you make it easier to see how simple it really is. Must get a sourdough starter going I guess. Thanks.

bernie January 29, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I cannot wait to try this!

Bernie

jules January 30, 2011 at 6:44 am

elisa
And I thank you for sharing your rye experience – wonderful! Will have to get my hands on some rye flour.

thanks vintage macaroon
enjoy your sourdough starter – it’s like having a new pet in the house!

coco March 9, 2011 at 3:52 pm

hey jules,

cheers for the fantastic recipe! i’ve just pulled my loaf out of the oven after it has been filling the apartment with a mouthwatering aroma for the past 45mins. despite sticking to the tea towel a little (oops!), it looks gorgeous and, when tapped on the base, sounds promising. i can’t wait to show it off to the boyfriend when he gets home from work!

i have my starter bubbling away (at day two) so i’ve gone with the yeasted version. i also tweaked the recipe slightly by using fresh yeast and almost equal parts of ’00’ flour and wholemeal stoneground spelt. i was hesitant to use entirely spelt on my first attempt, but i will be experimenting with different flours as i gain confidence.

for now, i simply can’t wait to tear into this beauty tonight! thanks again – i had never considered myself capable of baking my own bread until i found your site.

chas June 22, 2011 at 6:45 am

instead of semolina one can use corn meal – (not corn flour/corn starch)
-what makes ‘corn-meal muffins’ from.

Roger July 1, 2011 at 1:19 am

Hi Jules
Thanks for your encouragement with the Rustic Sourdough bread. Was going to write that it is “BO” day (Bread in Oven), but the initials looked a teensy bit awkward, somehow. Will let you know how it works out (btw, although it is summer here on the left coast of Canada, it’s the chilliest, rainiest on record — and my grandmother sold the house with the linen closet — so keeping the ‘starter’ in a warm place has been the most significant challenge to date!
Cheers,
RW

jules July 1, 2011 at 12:58 pm

roger
yes you’re right – BO isn’t a good look for this bread..
hope you get some warmer weather!

The Starving Student October 14, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe! I just made it yesterday using my homemade starter and I already have plans to make another loaf today! It is so simple but the results are unreal. Mine turned out almost like ciabatta in terms of texture but it still had that background sour flavour. After many failed attempts, this recipe was my saviour!

Michelle October 15, 2011 at 10:36 am

I’ve been making a version of the no-knead bread using yeast for ages – and yesterday tried this one using a spelt sour dough starter – it was SO much better My starter seemed much wetter then yours in the video so I used a bit less water till the final dough looked about right……and it was fantastic! There are a heap of websites that always made me feel as though I had to have science degree to make sourdough, so thanks for making it so damn easy!! Cheers, Mich

Linda October 16, 2011 at 5:56 am

I have not made a starter in quite a while. Your demonstration is clear and your notes make it easy to understand. I love your simple rustic bread recipes and I am absolutely going to try it. For some reason, that style bread is not available in my local markets. I have to drive to another city to get to the natural and/or organic food supermarkets to find it. Knowing that I can make it on my own is a plus.

Blessings as you continue to share what you’ve mastered with me/us. I have subscribed.

Linda

Craig November 12, 2011 at 5:59 am

Hi there,
I followed your recipe and ultimately it turned out really good.
I would say though your recipe called for WAY too much water. I guess my starter is a bit wetter than yours (mine is 50% hydration). I had to add at least another cup of flour and the next day it was so sticky and hard to handle. It turned out really well in the end though, but for others I would suggest that 10oz of water is too much.
Thanks!

david December 23, 2012 at 6:15 pm

I have the same problem. I followed the quantities, but reduced the water to 275 ml (water comes as a liquid! I’ve tried drying it but it doesn’t seem to work very well). It’s still the consistency of wall paper paste.
Tomorrow I will add the extra flour and, on the next try, cut the water to 100ml (and make two loaves, probably).
Report later.

jules January 2, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Weird David that it’s so runny… it’s meant to be super moist but not wall paper paste.. but not as firm as a regular dough.. have you tried baking the paste?… what sort of flour are you using?

Kate Smith February 9, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Hello there. I know it’s a while since you first posted this, and a while since it appeared on ROTH (winter 2010, I think) but as I’ve been very happily making this bread since then I would really like to be able to credit you with the technique and recipe on my own very little blog at http://www.mamamarmalade.co.uk. If you’re happy for me to do this I’d be very pleased!
Thanks, Kate

Jodi May 26, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Hi Jules,

I’ve have a great starter nicely fermented and have made this recipe several times. It’s a great flavour but it always comes out slightly moist. Do you have any idea which element I change to fix this – less starter, less water or more time in the oven? I’ve tried a few different ways but it always comes out a bit moist and I’ve no idea of the science behind so can’t seem to fix.
Thanks

jules May 31, 2012 at 10:12 am

Jodi
Great question!
SOund like its underbaked.. so I’d experiment with longer baking with the lid on first…

Izabella Hyde June 30, 2012 at 3:31 pm

So excited to find this!
I am giving the bread starter a go this weekend. Fingers crossed it will work.

Looking forward to yummy bread to come!

Bella :)

Izabella Hyde July 3, 2012 at 8:53 am

Hey Jules!

Its Bella again…just letting you know that the bread worked! I’ve made my first ever bread!
It looks fantastic and will be posting photos on my blog!

Your recipe is fantastic for the starter!

Bella

jules July 3, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Wonderful Bella!
So glad it’s working for you
Thanks for reporting back!
J

carolyn July 14, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Hi Jules,
Thanks for sharing this great recipe!
I just made my first yeasted loaf supplemented with some of my starter (a my starter still being established.)
The top of the loaf stuck to the tea-towel (I must not have used enough flour), but still a success for my first attempt!
thanks

jules July 16, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Glad you liked it Carolyn
You do need loads of flour to stop the dough sticking.. so you should be OK next time.

Jules (masculine) August 22, 2012 at 2:21 am

Suggestion: I use my starter to keep my yeasted breads fresh and without mold longer but in smaller quantity than in a sourdough.

jules August 23, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Thanks for the tip Jules

Hilly August 22, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Fab recipe for sour dough bread – but just too much of a bother…Have you researched the original Irish bread??? on the same line but takes only 10 min. to prepare and another 40 min. to bake.

jules August 23, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Hi Hilly

Yes! Love Irish soda bread – have a recipe based on my fiance’s (he’s Irish) mother’s recipe

It’s very different to sourdough though

Anja September 8, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Hi Jules,
I made my first ever sourdough this morning and it turned out beautifully! Thank you for a wonderful recipe! I’m planning to make another loaf tomorrow but would love to add some olives. Have you made olive sourdough using this recipe? Do you think it would be best to add the olives before or after it proofs?
Thanks!

jules September 15, 2012 at 1:04 am

I haven’t tried olives Anja but am sure they’ll be lovely
I’d add them after it proofs

Louise.T September 8, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Made your starter and sourdough, which I was afraid of doing as everyone I spoke to explained how difficult it would be to do. I am amazed at how simple it was and I enjoyed everyy part of the process. I make regular bread by hand all the time and it is quite hard work so to come across this simple recipe is brilliant. Thank you so much Jules! I have finally conquered. Sourdough which I have been wanting to do for a very long time. Thanks again!

jules September 15, 2012 at 1:03 am

Awesome Louise!

Lainie Anderson October 13, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Lovely simple recipe Jules. I’ve been making sourdough bread for a little while now and wanted a really simple recipe to give to a friend, and made this myself without kneading (of which I was skeptical) but they turned out very similar to the ones I labouresly knead, fold and turn the works so I think I will stick to your recipe too! Although you do get a better rise from kneading the taste is just the same. Thanks, Lainie :)

jules November 5, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Great Lainie
Thanks for sharing your kneading vs no kneading knowledge!

Mike December 3, 2012 at 6:22 am

Hey Jules, I just wanted to let you know that I followed your instructions for getting the sourdough starter going, and within a week it was bubbling away happily. We had a brunch for about 20 friends today so I made two rustic sourdough loaves that turned out just beautifully (they looked just like yours do in the pictures!). I have never made a sourdough before and always thought that it was a big investment in time for a very uncertain result. By following your advice in the blog and video, it was easier than I expected and delivered far better results than I could ever have hoped for. Your video tutorial was very helpful – I would never have believed the dough was supposed to be so wet if I hadn’t seen this. I resisted the temptation to add more flour, and am glad that I did. Thanks for the inspiration!

jules December 4, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Thanks for reporting back Mike!
So glad we’ve turned you into a sourdough baker :)

CJ January 4, 2013 at 11:56 am

Is Bread flour something special or may I use an quality all purpose flour? Must I purchase a special Bread Flour?

jules January 9, 2013 at 5:11 pm

HI CJ
Yes bread flour is special as it has a higher protein content than all purpose.
You can use all purpose but the texture won’t be as light and springy (and bready!) as with bread flour

The Carpet Cleaning January 22, 2013 at 8:16 am

I didn’t know that about bread flour. I just thought the difference was that it had been sifted or something.

Kerry January 23, 2013 at 10:01 am

As a fan of no-knead bread, I absolutely love these recipes!

Is it a simple case of doubling ingredients to double the loaf size, or does it not work particularly well? I know it doesn’t always :)

Maria@pinkpatisserie January 25, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Thank you for such a fantastic recipe! Made my first loaf today using the 3 day starter. Turned out beautifully! I did need to add a slight bit more flour to reach the right consistency but once I did it worked great. I am only on day 4 of my starter and it’s already bubbling. Should I begin to store it in the fridge or wait until day 10? I don’t want to ruin it! :)

Kerry January 30, 2013 at 11:30 am

Oops… yoghurt sourdough starter spoiled with pink and black dairy moulds appearing at day 4. I suspect it’s because I got yoghurt on the sides and rim of the jar and would definitely recommend making it in something with a wider mouth, that is still easy to cover.

Also, I discovered with the rustic yeasty bread that making the dough in the afternoon, then ignoring it in an airtight container until the evening of the following day, I could just pour it into the dutch oven without touching it and get the most amazing results.

Delicious recipe Jules! :)

Georgie February 17, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Hi, I’ve just put my first Sourdough loaf into the oven and am very excited. Mine stuck to the tea-towel too, but having read all the comments I know what to do to remedy this. I am a bit skeptical, but will let you know how it turns out. My starter seemed to improve when I took some out to make the bread ( I’m on about day seven, but I didn’t take any out before)
thanks for the recipe. x

Georgie February 18, 2013 at 12:11 am

Hello from Bradford, England. It turned out okay, but wow does it have a strong flavour! I left mine longer than you said because I didn’t have time to put it on til lunchtime so it had been about 16 hours, is this why the flavour is so strong? Mind you I am used to plain tasting bread machine bread. It is denser than yours but that’s perhaps because I used lots of wholemeal flour. I also missed out the yoghurt as I got my recipe before I saw your site. Can I add some yogurt to my starter now or is it too late? Thanks

Melissa February 27, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Hello Jules from Central California!

This is the first time I have ever responded on a blog! Guess that tells you what generation I’m from! :) I wanted to thank you for all your time and effort placed in developing a wonderfully simple Rustic Sour Dough recipe. This is day no. 4 for my starter, bubbling away and I baked my first loaf this evening! Wow…really a beautiful thing! The crisp crunch of the crust along with light airiness of the inside…I found myself thinking…did I just make this at home?

I do have a couple of questions for you:

Is the plain natural yogurt ever added to the starter again or only at the beginning? How would I go about intensifying the sour dough flavor?

I am also perusing through your web page and recipes, I appreciate your fresh perspective for preparing meals to include more veggies. The desserts look and sound great. I’m thinking the almond cake with raspberries might be next!

Thanks,
Melissa

John March 5, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Wow this is a great recipe. I have had great success and continue to impress family and friends with the flavour and texture of the bread. One question, my starter is almost one month old and is bubbling nicely however i still need to add yeast to get a descent rise. Any thoughts on this? Could i add more yogurt to strengthen the starter? Thanks from Canada.

John March 5, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Oh, one more question. In the video your sourdough starter has a much thicker texture and darker colour than mine. Mine is a very wet dough consistency and is white. Have you added a dark flour to yours, rye perhaps? Thanks again

Francis Foley March 26, 2013 at 3:57 am

I have a starter going since last week and it smells fruity and I’m getting some good reactions after feeding, the temperature in Ireland is pretty cool at the moment so I have to keep the starter in my hot press. I have looked at receipes on other sites but you would to be unemployed or retired to devote the time to making the bread. I intend to make this bread tomorrow, starting in the morning with the dough and allowing it to work its magic while I earn my crust. By 8 pm tomorrow I will be eating this bread. I will let you know how I got on.

BTW: For those interested, this is a picture of my starter taken a few days ago.

And this is a photo of another yeast bread I make complete with recipe and instructions.

Francis Foley March 26, 2013 at 7:16 am

Added a lot of flour and water to my starter in the space of 3 hours it tripled in size. I decided to begin the bread making process. Mixed everything up, put the mix in the fridge to retard it, will take it out in the morning and it will be ready for the oven in the evening.

The starter: http://www.flickr.com/photos/francis-foley/8590718382/

The dough: http://www.flickr.com/photos/francis-foley/8590809006/

Francis Foley March 27, 2013 at 6:56 am

The Sourdough Loaf
This is my first attempt at baking sourdough bread, I got a good rise, hope it tastes nice. More anon.

Sourdough Loaf Interior
The first cut into the sourdough loaf, very tasty, the sourness was slight and there is not much left after the family dug into it.

Erin April 19, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Our starter, christened “Henry”, is two days old and happily residing in our war, airing cupboard! I want to bake a loaf tomorrow, and you mentioned the need to add 1/4 tsp dried yeast until “Henry” is older. Just one question: what type of dried yeast? :)

Debbie May 1, 2013 at 11:10 am

I’m actually about to start the $2 day challenge next week and making sour dough was one of my plans, which has brought me here. I can’t wait to try this recipe and will be posting my results as soon as I find out!

Maria May 26, 2013 at 11:21 am

Brilliant! Thank you :-)

Anne June 5, 2013 at 10:09 am

Terrific way of baking bread – makes a moist loaf which was tricky to achieve in my old method. Thanks.

Mel Bee June 5, 2013 at 11:27 pm

Hi Jules, thank-you so much for this gift of a recipe; I’ve been making bread (over-yeasty, dry and dense) for quite some time until…I finally got around to making your recipe. My goodness! I’ve made a loaf or two every day for the past week (yeast version) and it is delicious. And, so far, unfailing! Today, I baked with ~half kamut flour and ~half bakers. It was a different texture to the stoneground unbleached bakers – less open…denser? but still moist and delicious. Rye is next on my list. I like Elisa’s suggestion of caraway seeds. Tomorrow, I pick up 12kgs of biodynamic bakers. Should last a few days, at this rate! Thanks again. I’m really loving making this bread! Grateful me.