What you should NEVER do when making yoghurt at home + coconut yoghurt recipe

homemade yoghurt3homemade yoghurt4
homemade yoghurt5homemade yoghurt6
homemade yoghurt7homemade yoghurt8

Ever since my good friend Jac told me about her favourite coconut yoghurt, I’ve been a little obsessed with figuring out how to make my own. Actually, thinking about it, yoghurt making has been on my radar for a lot longer than that.

You see, I love fermented foods (and beverages). At uni I majored in food microbiology and for my honours thesis delved into the bacterial populations of blue vein and camembert cheeses. Partially so I could play around with bacteria but mostly so I had an excuse to eat more cheese.

Then there were a few wayward years as a wine maker where I got up close and personal with more strains of yeast and lactic acid bacteria than I’d bargained for.

But I digress. Back to yoghurt.

Making yoghurt is something I always knew I’d do, one day.

And that day has come!

Over the last few months I’ve been perfecting my yoghurt making skills of both regular milk based yoghurt, and the more exotic coconut yoghurt.

The thing is, it’s no where near as complicated as you’d imagine. I’m kicking myself a little for not starting sooner.

So what should you NEVER do when making yoghurt at home?

Simple. You should never be tricked into thinking you need to go out and buy any specific equipment.

No ‘yoghurt makers’ need apply.

What do you need?

1. A Thermometer.
Yoghurt making bacteria are delicate souls, a bit like Goldilocks, they need their temperature to be ‘just right’ and the only way to tell if it’s OK is to measure. My Irishman recently purchased a fast reading digital thermometer for testing meat on the BBQ and it works a treat moonlighting as a yoghurt thermometer.

2. Some clean jars.
I prefer glass but plastic containers are fine too. Just make sure they’re clean. Fresh from the dishwasher is ideal.

3. A chiller bag or esky.
We need to keep our yoghurt nice and cosy for 8 hours or so. This used to put me off making yoghurt as I was worried about keeping the temperature constant. The thing is, it doesn’t need to be exact. I have a small insulated ‘cooler’ bag that does the job nicely. At a stretch you could just wrap your jars in some foil and then bundle them up in towels.

4. A starter culture.
I’ve been using a powdered culture that I picked up at my health food store. Or you could try using a few tablespoons of commercial natural yoghurt – but there’s a risk the bacteria won’t be still alive. So I haven’t tried that yet.

UPDATE: I’ve had lots of success with using my previous batch of yoghurt as a culture for my new yoghurt. And the yoghurt tends to set more quickly than when using dried culture. And it’s much cheaper! I use about 4-6 tablespoons in a 2L batch of yoghurt.

I’ve also read that you can use the powder in probiotic capsules but haven’t experimented with them yet either.

5. Milk.
Cows or coconut milk work well. Although there’s no reason why you couldn’t use goat’s milk, sheep milk or even buffalo if you have it at your disposal.

UPDATE: I had some failure using A2 milk, the yoghurt just didn’t thicken properly. I’m now sticking to regular milk.

I haven’t tried soy, rice or almond milk but if there’s enough protein they should work. Or you could try them using the coconut yoghurt recipe below. I’d love to hear how you get on if you do!

homemade yoghurt2

coconut yoghurt
makes a little over 3 cups

Coconut milks and creams vary hugely in their fat content which really tells you how much water has been added. I’ve used unsweetened coconut ‘cream’ that has about 20% fat. Higher fat coconut cream will give a thicker, richer yoghurt. And of course you’ll get a less thick yoghurt with a lower fat coconut milk.

Don’t stress about it too much but you might need to try a few different brands before you find one you’re happy with.

2 cans coconut milk or cream (400g / 14oz each), approx 20% fat
40g (1.5oz) egg white powder
1 teaspoon yoghurt culture

1. Combine coconut milk/cream and egg white powder in a medium saucepan. You’ll have some lumps.

2. Gently heat to 43C (110F).

3. Place 1 tablespoon coconut mixture in a clean cup. Add the culture powder and stir until it forms a (lumpy) paste. Add a little more coconut milk then stir the culture into the main saucepan.

4. Pour into glass jars and top with a lid.

5. Place in a chiller bag or esky and leave in a warm place for about 12 hours.

6. Pop in the fridge and leave for another day before eating.

VARIATIONS
no egg white powder? – You should be able to find it online or a cake decorating supplier. Whole egg powder would be fine, although it will change the flavour. Don’t use fresh egg whites as they may contain salmonella. The yoghurt is still lovely without it, just a lot less thick.

vegan – skip the egg white powder and be prepared for a runnier (but still delicious!) yoghurt

short on time? – the yoghurt can be eaten after the first 12 hours, but the flavour and texture are thicker and more yoghurty after the extra day in the fridge.

using powdered coconut milk? – mix it up with boiling water then cool to 43C (110F). Then add the egg white powder and proceed as per the recipe.

____________

video version of the recipe

____________

homemade yoghurt

cows milk yoghurt
makes 8 cups

This may seem like a lot of yoghurt but it will keep for a month or so in the fridge. Even though there are only 2 of us, we haven’t had any problems eating it up!

I’ve found that adding a little full cream milk powder gives a much nicer, creamier yoghurt and is totally worth the hassle. If using fresh milk, you’ll need to ‘sterilise’ it before adding the culture. This involves heating to 83C (180F) and holding for 5 minutes. UPDATE: I’ve been experimenting with skipping the sterilising step and haven’t had any failures yet, so feel free to skip it if you aren’t worried about possible contamination in your milk.

2L (8 cups) full fat milk
100g (3.5oz) full cream milk powder, optional
2 teaspoons yoghurt culture

1. Whisk together milk and milk powder in a medium saucepan. Don’t stress if there are lumps.

2. Place over a medium heat and warm, stirring frequently until the temperature reaches 83C (180F). Hold at that temp for about 5 minutes. Or skip this step and go to step 3.

3. Cool to 43C (110F). I pop the saucepan in a baking dish filled with cold water and a chiller brick or ice.

3. Place 1 tablespoon of the tepid milk in a cup. Add the culture powder and stir until it forms a (lumpy) paste. Add a little more milk then stir the culture into the main saucepan.

4. Pour into glass jars and top with a lid.

5. Place in a chiller bag or esky and leave in a warm place for about 12 hours.

6. Refrigerate.

VARIATIONS
no full cream milk powder? – Regular milk will work.

vegan – see the coconut yoghurt recipe above.

short on time? – see the head note for how to use UHT milk and skip the heating step.

super creamy – add in a cup of whipping cream or double the milk powder.

____________

video version of the recipe

__________

Recently on The Stonesoup Diaries

:: the simplest sauce, ever
:: giant, scary vegetables

Looking for super quick, healthy dinner recipes?

T&HCC 3D Cover
Then the ‘Tired & Hungry Cook’s Companion’ could be just what you need!
For more details go to:
www.thestonesoupshop.com/tiredhungrycookscompanion/

Cheers

• Brent 1 April, 2013, 5:24 pm

Thank you for the steps! I made mine and it turned out well, for a first timer. ;)

• hippytea 2 April, 2013, 5:39 am

Hi there! I must try coconut yoghurt – I have lots of fun making regular cow’s milk yoghurt.

Just a comment: the step of heating the milk up to 83C is not for sterilisation (though that’s a bonus) – it’s to denature the milk proteins, and it gives a better set, especially if you can hold it around that temperature for 20-30mins before cooling and adding the starter. That’s why a lot of yoghurt recipes recommend doing this even with freshly-opened pasteurised milk – pasteurisation doesn’t keep the milk hot for long enough to denature the proteins.

I believe UHT/ultrapasteurised milk doesn’t need this step as it has already been done (hence why it tastes a bit different). I’ve never used UHT for yoghurt but apparently it works well.

• Kevin Moore 9 April, 2013, 1:39 pm

h/t – thanks for the info. How do you hold it at temp for 20-30 min? Maybe a water bath? I just heat it directly on the stove and then let it cool.
      I’m wondering if denaturing the protein might increase my yield?

• pam 12 April, 2013, 2:40 pm

hi….we eat raw eggs all the time in my family…straight from the chicken so i have no concerns. with that in mind, do you think you could use real egg white rather than a powdered version? would that work? thanks heaps….

• pren10 13 April, 2013, 12:01 am

Throw away all yogurt tools, accept for the thermometer, and buy a thermal cooker. Yogurt making becomes 1-2-3 easy. Plus the thermal cooker has many multi uses.

• Marion 15 April, 2013, 8:58 pm

Very new to all this – researching Net for days. Been Gluten, Dairy, Starch, Yeast, Soy free for last 10 years. Immune Disfunction!
    Live in Spain, can’t buy any Yogurt here without some Sugar (3.0g min) could I use this? Will look for Powdered Starters. Can get Sheeps Milk, but Pasteurized and probably UHT. Might try Almond Milk (if I can make it) and the Coconut one.
    Could I mix Sheeps Milk with a little Cows?
    Gracias

• Kevin Moore 16 April, 2013, 6:58 am

You can use any yogurt for a starter as long as it contains live cultures. I’ve used sweetened yogurt in a pinch (vanilla flavored and honey flavored) and it works okay. Prefer the plain.
      You can also use any milk – cows, sheep, goat – raw, pasteurized, UHT and can combine them. I don’t use raw milk and have never tried soy or almond but have my first batch of coconut working right now.
      Buenas Suertes!

• Elle 21 April, 2013, 8:06 pm

Jules, thank you for your inspirational recipe for yogurts. I have been making cows milk yogurt for years without any problems.
    I have thrown out many coconut yogurt attempts – worse one had almonds in. I at last had success adding some powdered coconut milk to tinned coconut milk, instead of the powdered egg white. (Just didn’t have the powdered egg white). Is there any reason I shouldn’t use powdered coconut milk?
    I used the live cultures I keep in the freezer and they work for both cow and coconut yogurts.
    Thanks, Elle

• John Spitaleri 25 April, 2013, 5:26 am

When I lived in Ecuador I used to make yogurt ever day.

No jars needed, no bags for storage, no thermometer needed.

We had raw milk delivered each morning. Just put a tablespoon of yesterday’s yogurt in a shallow bowl mixed with fresh milk. Cover lightly with cloth, on a warm spot. Tomorrow your yogurt is ready. Next day repeat.

No Work
    No Storage needed
    Fresh Every day.

• Bron 25 April, 2013, 6:24 pm

Hi

Thanks for you lovely post – I adore the photography!

I was just wondering whether you could use gelatin as a substitute for the egg white powder? What ratio do you think you could use?

thanks in advance!

Bronnie x

• Bec 16 May, 2013, 10:11 am

Hi, thank you for this post!

I borrowed an Easiyo yoghurt maker from a friend a while back and tried a couple of times to make yoghurt using full fat coconut milk. I found that the coconut milk in the container mimicked what it does in the cans – ie. it separated, leaving a thicker, white layer at the top and a watery, clear layer at the bottom. Do you recommend using only the thicker part of the coconut milk/cream from the can, or is there a brand you can recommend for me? I didn’t add egg white powder but from the sounds of your post that’s more a thickener – I added powdered coconut milk to my second batch thinking that may help it emulsify but it didn’t seem to help.

I don’t own a food thermometer and I’d prefer not to buy any extra equipment so I’d like to continue trying with the yoghurt maker, but any advice you could give me about brands of coconut milk that may work better would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again :)
    Bec

• JerryF 26 May, 2013, 12:06 am

Very nice blog and beautiful photo’s. That being said let me go to the making of yogurt.
    I’m an expat living in the Philippines and it’s hard to get fresh milk (getting easier) and 100ml of Nestle’s yogurt will set you back about US$ ~1.25.
    So what I do is this, and I love it.
    I use only dried milk powder, haven’t tried the instant, but don’t see why it wouldn’t work.
    The DMS that I use call for 50g per L, I use about 75g /L, then add in some of the Nestle’s plain, 1-2 Tbspn or 30ml. Then set it on my counter (except in the rainy season when it’s cool), normal temp being around 90F or 34C, after about 8-10 hrs, I have yogurt, after 15-18 hrs it is so thick and tangy that it blows my mind. No Heating of the milk, just put it in the jar and put a lid on it. In the rainy season, I use an electric heating pad set on low in the oven.
    I use dry milk solids for skim milk, yogurt, fresh cheeses and for me it works great.
    I will do anything to avoid UHT milk.

• Jeff 4 June, 2013, 6:41 pm

can we mix coconut extract in milk and use it in case coconut cream is not available?

• kezia 4 June, 2013, 7:26 pm

i found some esiyo yoghurt makers at the op shop, is so easy to make yoghurt in them! You just half fill the 1L container (or a jar of similar size) with room temperature water, add 1 1/2 cups full cream milk powder, 3 tablespoons yoghurt (i used Jalna biodynamic for my first batch, but now use some of my own), put the lid on, shake well, then fill the jar to the top, shake again! Fill the esiyo with boiling water to the top of the red insert, put the lid on….and 6 hours later you’ve got delicious yoghurt!

• kezia 4 June, 2013, 7:29 pm

whoops! *Fill to the top of the jar with more room temperature water!

• Niki 26 May, 2015, 3:44 pm

omg thank you Kezia! these are the instructions I’ve been looking for! a friend recently gave me her Esiyo and I’ve been hanging to try it but wanted to use yogurt (not powdered culture) to start but couldn’t find this method anywhere! thx again :D

• Keshia 27 May, 2015, 6:44 pm

Hi! I love that you understand all this bacteria stuff… I had my first attempt at coconut yoghurt this week, I used a yoghurt maker and coconut cream but after 20 hours in the maker it was still very runny (I found it did thicken up left in the fridge 24hours) but what concerned me was a runny thin grey layer on top of the yoghurt before I poured it out of the maker… I just read somewhere this is bad? I bought my yoghurt maker 2nd hand but looks like its had minimal use. I sterialised all the parts. I just want to check I’m not creating bad bacteria? Can you help please?? I need someone with the knowledge! Thankyou!! :)

• jules 28 May, 2015, 9:15 am

Hi Keshia! Was the grey layer mouldy or could it possibly have been fat from the coconut cream?

The best way to know if your yoghurt is ok is to taste it… It should be nice and acidic / tangy which shows the bacteria have done their job at decreasing the pH. Most bad bacteria can’t grow at the low pH of yoghurt so that’s why it works so well.

• Sandra 15 June, 2015, 1:40 pm

Hi, I was just reading your yoghurt ideas….. Have you ever tried making yoghurt in the slow cooker. I make heaps of Greek yoghurt because we eat so much of it. It is cheaper. I use cows milk, here is what I do.
    I put 4 litres of milk in slow cooker and heat until bubbles form around the top (this is to kill any bad bacteria) turn off and allow to cool until it is around the temperature of a baby’s bottle (I never use a thermometer and I have never had a fail). In a bowl I whisk one cup of my milk and my culture (from my favourite Greek yoghurt or my saved culture from my last batch). Save some (2/3 tbs) from each batch to keep it going). Then whisk the mix gently with long strokes back into the slow cooker. Place the pot into a warmed oven. Do not leave oven on. (put towel on shelf then pot and towel over top and sides). Leave overnight. For yummy thick Greek yoghurt I strain off some of the whey by putting a thin cotton tea towel over a colander and loading in the yoghurt. I like mine nice and thick.
    I find making yoghurt this way so easy. Another thing you could do is leave the oven light on to keep the temperature right. I haven’t had to do this as I am in a warm climate. Have fun

• jules 16 June, 2015, 7:21 am

thanks for sharing Sandra!

• KC 1 October, 2015, 4:42 am

I’ve been doing this for some time (oven light on). The last three batches have failed and I am baffled as to why. Oh, they grow but they’re watery and I can’t strain them enough to get more than about 1/3 of the batch to “Greek” style thickness. I was getting beautiful, thick “curdy” yogurt from this method. I’ve not changed any parameter. I’m wondering if my oven is getting overly hot for some reason and if I should just go ahead and turn the light off before we go to bed and hope it stays warm enough. I’m in SE Texas where we run the A/C a lot because it’s sweltering otherwise. I use a store brand as a starter (then use my own for several rounds) but the first batch from that container was fine. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

• Mike G 17 June, 2015, 7:17 pm

I’ve been making yoghurt for over a year using dry culture from a local Australian company called Country Brewer, who also do beer and cheesemaking supplies. No affiliation.
    The reason for heating cows milk to near boiling is to get rid of unwanted bacteria and also to denature the milk proteins so the yogurt doesn’t come out slimy or “ropey”.
    This has already been done with the dollar a litre UHT long life milk so it’s only necessary to heat it to 43 degrees typically. I also stir in the full cream milk powder and I’ve yet to come across a supermarket yoghurt that is smoother, creamier or more delicious than my own brew. Also, including the powdered milk and the culture it’s only costing around $1.50 a kilo.
    Thanks for the blog.

• jules 23 June, 2015, 10:27 pm

Sounds like you’re all over it Mike!

• Pauline 4 July, 2015, 11:08 pm

Love the info on here. I buy a litre of UHT milk, a pot of natural greek yoghurt, and mix three tablespoons of the yogurt into the milk, no need to heat it as its already done for you. I put it into the easiyo jar, pour boiling water into the thermos container in to the top of the red insert and leave the jar inside the thermos for 24 hours. If you want thick and creamy yoghurt, strain the yoghurt through a piece of muslin over a bowl, I put the muslin into a sieve to hold the muslin you will see the liquid separating I think the yellowish liquid is called whey but could be wrong. It takes a while to work out how long to leave it but the longer you leave it the thicker it will be. Once you have it to the consistency you like tip away the yellowish liquid, if the yoghurt is nice and thick you will probably find you can almost scrape it from the muslin. I am sure I saw somewhere where some people keep the whey and add it to soups etc, I don’t as it has a taste I don’t like.

• Maveric 30 July, 2015, 6:28 am

I’ve been making my own yogurt for years and I will never buy yogurt again. Wait, that’s a lie. I do buy yogurt from the store. That’s the point of my comment.

Here’s what you do; buy a 6 pack of yogurt with live cultures. Pop the whole tray in the freezer. Defrost a single tub at a time, as needed, or if you run out of left overs from your previous batch of yogurt and Viola! Bob’s your uncle, you always have culture. I find that buying culture is sometimes a tad expensive, so I decided to try this and I have had nothing but smooth, thick success.

• Douglas Smith 28 August, 2015, 2:31 am
    • jules 1 September, 2015, 4:54 pm

Be careful with using milk powders Douglas… the powdering process is pretty rough and oxidises the cholesterol in the milk making it not so good for you… but it does give a creamier yoghurt!

• Jasmin 14 July, 2016, 8:03 pm

Hi,
        I only have goat’s Greek yogurt, I want to know if it’s okay to add the cow’s milk on it? Because there’s no goat’s milk available in my place.
        Thank you.:-))

• jules 19 July, 2016, 12:20 pm

It’s fine to mix milks Jasmin!

• Douglas Smith 28 August, 2015, 2:45 am

I make 2-4 quarts of yogurt at a time. I use a super cheap styrofoam cooler ($5) to keep temperature constant. I add a few inches water in the bottom at the desired temperature (110) to act as a further temperature buffer.

• Ayas 28 August, 2015, 6:40 pm

You will get even better results if you set your yogurt in an earthen utensil. Yogurt set in earthen pots gets a nice texture and eating yogurt from earthen utensils is much tastier (Like decanted wine). And adding a smidge of sugar will speed up the process as well.The sugar is food for the starter culture.

• jules 1 September, 2015, 4:52 pm

Interesting Ayas…
      I haven’t tried earthern pots but have had lovely yoghurt in France set in the pot.
      You really don’t need the sugar – there’s plenty of lactose for the yeast in the milk but if you like to add it it wont hurt ;)

• Janine 14 April, 2016, 9:19 pm

Hi – Where can I get some of these earthern pots from in Australia (Victoria)

• Margrit Methuen 22 September, 2015, 8:33 pm

Re soya milk, almond milk etc: Why “should it work” if “there’s enough protein”? The bacteria ferment the sugars, not the protein…

• jules 29 September, 2015, 3:48 pm

Yes Margrit.
      The bacteria ferments the sugars to form lactic acid which lowers the pH of the yoghurt and causes the PROTEIN in the milk to change form and thicken the yoghurt. Almond and soy milks don’t have these proteins so even if you get the fermentation you don’t get the thickening…

• Joan Basford 26 September, 2015, 4:11 pm

Looks good but where do you get the yogourt culture from in Melbourne. I generally have been using packaged yogourts but would like to try this one. Thanks. Joane

• jules 29 September, 2015, 3:35 pm

I got my culture online from cheeselinks.com.au Joan
      Good luck!

• DES PECK 5 October, 2015, 2:13 pm

i want to turn yeast [ inactive ]probiotics [inactive enzyems in to a Paste to put in to a siringe to give to cows and all animals can you help

• Lorraine 16 November, 2015, 8:58 am

I had success with A2 at last. It didn’t work at first with low fat, it remained liquid, but this time I used 1l of full cream A2 and added about 1/2 cup of A2 milk powder. This was my recipe years ago before I became intolerant to regular milk. Success! and thick and creamy and delicious.

• jules 16 November, 2015, 2:09 pm

Thats good to know Lorraine… I’ve tried A2 and had no luck :)

• Bob 2 December, 2015, 8:32 pm

EASY HEATING METHOD…No need for any special or involved heating systems, just several folded newspapers on a worktop or table, which is a good insulator, or a piece of expanded polystyrene/styrofoam packing material if you have some, that would be great, fill a rubber hot water bottle from a kettle of hot water, or maybe even hot tap water would be warm enough, lay the hot water bottle on the insulation layer, set a thin sheet of cardboard or a piece of towelling on top of the hot water bottle, set your jar of warm milk & yogurt culture on top of the cardboard, cover jar and hot water bottle in a couple of towels or similar, leave overnight, works great. Don’t faff around heating your milk in a saucepan or whatever and risking it boiling over, put the milk in the jar and set in in a saucepan of hot water on a low heat, leave it to warm for however long you want, the sterilising mantra is an urban myth, pasteurised milk will be perfectly safe, but what the heating does is to affect the casein in the milk, the milk proteins, and that helps to create a thicker yogurt, either with or without the addition of powdered milk or cream. You could also get a cardboard carton and insulate the inside with towels, sweaters whatever, and or a tea cosy, or a pair of new and thick woolen socks. It’s simple, cheap, and easy, and it works well, and if you want to make a larger quantity of yogurt, you could add an extra hot water bottle.

• Bob 2 December, 2015, 9:05 pm

Don’t buy fancy yogurt cultures unless you absolutely have to, just look for a shop yogurt which contains live cultures, and read the label and see what the culture varieties are, you can get a maximum of about four different cultures for use in you own yogurt, and several cultures are better than one or two. An additional source of a very good culture and an additional bacterial culture variety that isn’t in traditional yogurt is the commercial Danone/Yakult type brand yogurts that are ridiculously overpriced in the shops, and which taste foul because they add all sorts of artificial sweeteners and sugars, but don’t let that put you off, because that can be easily fixed and it won’t be a problem, just get some, use a teaspoonful to culture a new small jarful, then use a teaspoon of your new culture to make another batch, and after you’ve done that a few times all of the gunk will be gone and it will taste fine. It actually makes quite a nice and fairly thick yogurt and you can keep making it as a separate culture or you can add some of it to your normal yogurt culture. I believe that it’s a Japanese firm and independent clinical research trials have confirmed that it does have health benefits, lowering blood pressure and helping with cholesterol levels, provided that I think it’s about 100ml per day is consumed.

• jules 3 December, 2015, 6:54 pm

Thx for the tips Bob!

• Denise 11 February, 2016, 9:21 am

Hi I just use powdered milk ..thick ..heat to wrist temp,wrap in tea towel and then put in a sleeping bag or blanket o’night. .no fuss!

• jules 12 February, 2016, 11:40 am

That’s great Denise but I’m hesitant to use powdered milk because the cholesterol gets oxidised through the powdering process. Plus you get that cooked flavour. But if you’re happy then keep up the good work!

• Anne 6 January, 2016, 11:17 pm

Can you use a food dehydrator to keep the yoghurt at 110F? I use this method to make my normal yoghurt.

• Naeem 16 January, 2016, 2:09 pm

I have used rice cooker as my source of heat.
    I placed my glass jars inside the cooker filled with water.
    Once the water inside boils in the cooker it then stays on a low heat setting to keep the rice warm. In this case the yoghurt jars warm overnight. Green Valley yoghurt is the only one thats worked for me , i must try some powder cultures now.

• Peter 28 January, 2016, 11:00 am

Hi Jules, Thanks for this recipe and explanation. I always appreciate your thorough, scientific and knowledgeable approach to food.
    I want my coconut yoghurt to have lots of good bacteria for my gut (to reduce IBS symptoms). I’m not quite understanding whether they are still present after using your method. Are the cultures used up in “building” the yoghurt and not present in significant quantities afterwards?

• jules 29 January, 2016, 10:21 am

Yes Peter
      The cultures are still present after the fermentation process.

• Christian 11 February, 2016, 7:51 am

How do I make my next batch? I have made my starter batch but am not sure how to keep it going. Do I heat the new milk or add it cold/room temp?

• jules 12 February, 2016, 11:38 am

Heat your new milk separately then cool to 45C and add your starter (or old yoghurt / starter batch)
      Hope that helps
      J

• Magnus 25 February, 2016, 12:16 pm

I’ve narrowed it down to basically three steps: mix milk and starter together in a suitable vessel. Heat. Eat. OK, so you chill the yogurt before you eat but that’s about it.

• Michelle 13 April, 2016, 6:11 am

Hi, I really enjoyed your recipe for coconut yogurt.. I have been making own vietnamese yogurt at home, sweetened with condensed milk. I’ve been thinking of possibly substituting out regular milk for almond milk. Do you know what the appropriate percentage of protein is required for this to work?

• jules 18 April, 2016, 3:31 pm

Not sure Michelle but it’s not just the amount of protein.. The type matters too… So not sure you’ll get very good results with almond milk but worth a shot! Jx

• Anne 27 April, 2016, 8:45 am

Hi Jules, thank you for the encouragement to stop putting off making my own yoghourt. One question – if a certain husband is obsessed with vanilla bean yoghourt, can I deliver?

• jules 27 April, 2016, 7:14 pm

Of course Anne! You could add beans to the milk as its heating to infuse… And if you need more sweetness after its made just add your fave sweetener. Good luck!

• Jaci 30 April, 2016, 9:25 am

HELP please ! I found your blog after a dismal fail at coconut yogurt making in the Philips Viva All in one Cooker. I’m allergic to dairy protein (casein) and gluten. I followed the Philips utube instructions to use 250ml yogurt ( used passion fruit coconut yogurt from health food shop $10 small 300g tub, l removed the seeds) 500ml coconut milk (full cream), 500ml rice milk, 1 Tblsp sugar, 3/4 level tsp dairy free yogurt culture starter powder(from health food store), then set machine for 12 hrs on the yogurt cycle, let sit in machine 2 hrs more before l checked it. It’s a thinner consistency now than what I started with, like water! So, I’ve added another 3/4 level tsp culture powder and 1 tsp sugar, reset machine for 8 hours more. Will this work? The ingredients are so expensive, l don’t want to do multiple discarded failed batches. Can someone help me, l’m a novice, l don’t know what l’ve done wrong. Thanks in advance.

• jules 9 May, 2016, 3:11 pm

Hi Jaci…
      The reason animal milk yoghurts thicken is because during fermentation the pH (acidity) changes. The proteins in the milk are sensitive to this change and they thicken the yoghurt.

Neither coconut milk or rice milk (or any plant milks) have very much protein so even if fermtation occurs they stay runny. That’s why I added egg white to mine. Most commercial coconut yoghurts use some sort of starch to thicken them.

So I’m not surprised yours didn’t work. I’m afraid extra culture and time isn’t going to help.

It will still be edible though! Just runny

• Marion 1 May, 2016, 1:23 am

I am so ready to try making coconut milk yogurt but am having trouble finding egg white powder here in Canada. Is egg white protein powder the same thing? or should I be looking for something different. the only other thing I can find is meringue powder that has a whole bunch of nasty ingredients in it.
    thanks!

• jules 7 May, 2016, 3:31 pm

The protein powder should work Marion :)

• Simone 1 May, 2016, 5:17 pm

Jules – I have just used your recipe – it has set perfectly but there is no tang. I used full cream milk, yoghurt culture and milk powder, set it for 12 hours as per your instructions and put in the fridge for 12 hours before I tried it. Any tips? S.

• jules 7 May, 2016, 3:31 pm

Leave it out of the fridge for longer to get more acid Simone.. Another 12 hours or so :)

• Jo McRae 3 May, 2016, 1:04 pm

Hi Jules, I haven’t tried making coconut yoghurt yet, but just had some kefir drink from oat milk that I used to try to make yoghurt – not quite a disaster, but close. I used shop yoghurt and 3 probiotic capsules.

• jules 7 May, 2016, 3:27 pm

Hey Jo.. Oat milk wouldn’t have hardly any protein so I’m not surprised! Thanks for sharing though :)

• Gerald Dear 3 May, 2016, 8:34 pm

My wife hates the bitter taste of yoghurt so I add 4 tablespoons of stevia powder per litre.

I am slowly reducing the amount of stevia to adjust the taste with the idea of eliminating it all together down the road.

By the way I make my yoghurt from 150 grams of full cream powdered milk only per litre of boiled water. It tastes great

• Jasmin 14 July, 2016, 8:01 pm

Hi,
    Thank you.:-))

• Ron D'Cruz 17 July, 2016, 2:28 am

Coconut yoghurt?! Sounds yummy – gotta try that. As for milk yoghurt, I’ve been making it for 30 years now since eking out on my own first to college and off into the wide world. In fact, in India, where I grew up, no meal is complete without yoghurt. Even breakfast! We even use it as a marinade for some chicken and meat dishes. We throw in a few dobs of yoghurt a couple of minutes before taking the curried stews or stir fries off the stove. We churn the yogurt with wooden spindles to make our own buttermilk (lassi) and we drink it with honey or sugar or mashed overripe banana. My own fav was salty spicy lassi: buttermilk+rock salt (with that pungent flavor almost like H2S)+finely diced chillipeppers+finely diced ginger+ cilantro or mint for cooling down after a spicy hot meal on a hot summer’s lunch. Blow hot blow cold. Almost a billion people and they might be starving to death and living wretched lives but they have to sleep with yoghurt on their minds for the next meal. (That’s their source of protein because a lot of poor people cannot afford meat). But then, out here in Americaland, we happily pay a ton for factory-made “Greek” yoghurt. Someone wrote that it’s healthier and it’s caught on…I digress, sorry, but what I’m trying to drive it in a rambling ranting way is that one could make yoghurt much easier than brewed coffee. Heat milk to warm. Throw in a teaspoon of yesterday’s yogurt. Cover it or wrap it in some hand towels and put it in an oven or top of fridge or a pantry. Come to collect it 6 to 10 to 14 hours/etc depending on how warm it has been there. It’s that simple. Now, imagine this reality: if hundreds of millions of poor and wretched Indians can make yoghurt in nothing but a clay pot and yesterday’s culture, why would it be difficult for you. Why would you need a frikkin’ thermometer. I can assure you, I haven’t tasted better, more flavorful yoghurt than that made in clay pots.

By the way, if you don’t have culture, you could indeed throw in the powder from store yogurt or a couple of probiotics capsules. Read what they have. Bulgaricus? You’re good to go. If you don’t want to spend that much, save five or six stalks from chilli peppers. Throw them into the warm milk. Trust me. The result is not curry, pardon the sarcasm. You’ll get the same damned yoghurt. You make it “Greek” (sic!) by straining (with a muslin/cheese cloth or paper towel or coffee filter) the whey out after the yoghurt is set.

• Annette 20 August, 2016, 10:12 am

Hi Jules thanks so much for all your fabulous information..I can’t find egg white powder, what else could I use instead? egg whites ? thanks in advance , Annette

• Annette 21 August, 2016, 5:11 pm

I have read all the comments now and realise that fresh egg whites could be dangerous. I will try to find dried egg white powder from a cake making supplier as I can’t find it in the supermarket..

• jules 3 September, 2016, 6:40 pm

I wouldn’t use fresh egg whites Annette because they’re hard to digest and there’s a small risk of salmonella… You can just skip it and have a slightly runnier yoghurt

• Nina 20 September, 2016, 8:57 am

Since I am vegan I cannot add egg whites to my coconut yogurt but instead I added arrowroot flour, a natural thickener. Worked like a charm! My yogurt turned out thick, creamy, and delicious :)

• jules 23 September, 2016, 8:14 am

Awesome Nina! Thx for sharing :)

• sara 2 October, 2016, 10:27 am

please advice how to make it properly as i tried twice without gelatine
    Just heated whole milk until it comes to boil and mixed with yoghurt two tbsp and rest for many hours ,didn’t set .

Any improvements ? however i didn’t check temperatures.

• Alex 3 October, 2016, 11:38 pm

Sara,

Please use a thermometer, your milk is overheated , Probiotic bacterias can’t live if your milk temperature is higher than 43?.

• jules 6 October, 2016, 1:51 pm

You need to check temperatures Sara – if the milk isn’t properly cooled any live bacteria in your yoghurt would be killed…

I’m not surprised it didn’t work for you!

A thermometer is a great investment and they’re not that expensive Jx

• Alex 3 October, 2016, 11:35 pm

Dear Jules,

I want to say thank you for your sharing. I had been trying to make my own yogurt by Probiotics capsules. At the beginning I successed 2-3 times, since then I failed to make my milk fermented and they just can not solidified. Now after reading your detail explanation in here, I finally success to make my own yogurt, it is the temperature control and the fermentation hours that make the differences.

Your teaching is very easy to understand and yet very professional. Thank you very much! Before I ended here, I wish to ask you THREE questions, hope you can help me.

1. How do we know if there are some bad bacteria we might cultured during the yogurt making at home?

2. I am a lactose intorence person, normally when I consumed milk product, I will have stomach upset, bloating and farting. I heard yogurt is suitable for lactose intorence person. May I know is there any calculation or formula or tip that possible for us to make Proiotics bacteria break down more lactose in the milk when making yogurt? Mean any way we can lower down the lactose in the yogurt?

3. Is that true that the amount of protein in the milk can become more after fermented (to become yogurt) ? Example if the 100 ml of milk contain 5g of Protein, will it become more after making into yogurt?

• jules 6 October, 2016, 2:00 pm

Hi Alex!
      1. The lactic acid bacteria that make yoghurt change the pH (make it more acidic) which means bad bacteria can’t grow AND your yoghurt thickens. So if your yoghurt and Astra tangy and has set properly you can be pretty sure there aren’t any pathogenic bacteria.

2. I don’t know of any way to make sure the
      Lactose is broken down or any formulas. I would suggest leaving the yoghurt to culture for longer – say 24 hours before popping in the fridge to give the bacteria more of a chance to break down the lactose.

3. The actual amount of protein doesn’t really change – just the form / shape that it is in will change with the change in acidity

• David 10 October, 2016, 11:18 pm

In Japan i had a yogurt that you just dumped it in the cold milk and the next morning you had more yogurt every few days I would spoon some out add cold milk and Viola a fresh new bath of yougurt. was called caspikai yogurt.I would love to get my hands on some of that.

• Margs 12 October, 2016, 9:24 pm

Hi Jules, love your blog! just wondering about the yoghurt culture that you use? because, if it is dairy based, the coconut yoghurt cannot be classed as Vegan. cheers, Margs x

• jules 20 October, 2016, 1:25 pm

Thx Margs! I haven’t checked if my culture is dairy-free.. I guess if it’s important to you it’s worth finding out :)

• EAT'S a Small World 17 October, 2016, 5:41 am

I recently tasted coconut yogurt in one of new restaurants in Manila. They applied it on a parfait with berries and cocoa. I love it! I want to make my own coconut yogurt someday and this one’s the perfect guide. Thanks for sharing!

• 2 easy 24 October, 2016, 6:32 pm

For those who want more simple still. I use powdered milk and supermarket yoghurt as a starter, glass jar always, and wrap the glass jar +mix in a black plastic bag and leave in the sun all day (if air temp 20-35C- I havnt tried cooler or hotter). never failed

• jules 27 October, 2016, 7:04 am

I’m not a fan of the flavour of powdered milk 2 easy… but if it works for you go for it!

• Peggy 12 November, 2016, 1:04 am

I’ve always got a lot of egg whites left from making ice cream. If I pasteurise the egg whites, what weight would you use to replace the 40 g egg white powder?

• jules 17 November, 2016, 3:07 pm

Good question Peggy!

The fresh whites are going to add extra water so you’d need to be careful. I’d start with 100g pasteurised whites as a guess and see how it goes… Let me know!

• mandy 14 November, 2016, 1:33 am

Thanks for the post. I was looking for such a nice recipe since last week, glad to find it nowhttp://homemadeyogurt.net/

• jules 15 November, 2016, 12:23 pm

Glad you liked it mandy!

• Andrea 18 November, 2016, 5:03 am

I’d like to make yoghurt, but with lacto free milk. Is this possible? Also, can I use a probiotic drink (say yakult) as my starter? Thanks

• jules 23 November, 2016, 10:28 am

Better to use other yoghurt or specific starter culture for Yoghurt Andrea. I’m not sure how active the cultures in prebiotic drinks are…

And I’m not sure about lactose free milk – it should be OK for the bacteria but there’s only one way to find out! Just try a small batch :)

• Larry 20 November, 2016, 9:02 am

Don;t us soy milk, soy of any kind will harm your thiroid and gut. fermented soy is not safe, so sick with cow, goat, coconut, anything but soy. your body will thank you.

• jules 23 November, 2016, 10:30 am

Thanks Larry! I’m not a fan of soy products either :)

• Mel 22 November, 2016, 11:02 am

Hmmm… coconut yoghurt sounds yummy and it would be great to make my own rather than pay top dollar and wait for it to be available in shops (I live in a small, north-Queensland town).

I wonder if all it needs is protein if hemp protein powder would do it? It would save me buying another ingredient..
    I may be whipping up batches of green cocoyoghurt in no time!

• jules 23 November, 2016, 10:33 am

Love the idea of hemp powder Mel! If you try it please let me know how you get on :)

And I’d love to know where you get your hemp powder?