Pork & Fennel Burgers
Pork and fennel is one of my favourite sausage flavour combos. So no surprises that it also translates to a tasty burger! The other thing I love about this dish is the layering of fennel seeds with the fresh fennel in the salad.
enough for: 2
takes: 15 minutes
450g (1lb) minced (ground) pork
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 large bulb fennel
1 bag rocket (arugula) leaves
mayonnaise, to serve
1. In a bowl combine pork and fennel seeds. Season and form into 2 patties.
2. Heat a frying pan on a medium high heat. Rub burgers with a little oil and cook for 4-5 minutes or until no longer pink in the middle.
3. Meanwhile combine lemon with 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. Season. Shave fennel using a mandolin or sharp knife.
4. Toss shaved fennel in the dressing with the rocket.
5. Place cooked burgers on 2 plates. Top with salad and drizzle over the mayo.
5-ingredients – skip the rocket (arugula) or fennel seeds.
vegetarian – add fennel seeds to these chickpea burgers.
egg-free – use natural yoghurt instead of the mayo or use a commercial vegan mayo.
no fennel – replace with 2 small zucchini or just use more salad leaves.
different meat – chicken, turkey or even beef are all good.
more substantial – serve on burger buns (and fries).
no fennel – just skip it. Or replace with some fresh red chilli.
pescetarian – use finely chopped fish or cook fish fillets with the fennel seeds and serve with the salad and mayo.
more veg – serve with a green salad.