Low Carb Almond Breads (Gluten-Free)
But having three bread-loving carbaholics in the house got me experimenting with healthier alternatives.
These 'breads' have earned a tick of approval from my Irishman who loves peanut butter toast for breakfast - and he's a very tough customer to impress!
- 200g7oz almond meal
- 2tablespoonspsyllium or oat branoptional
- 1teaspoonbaking powder
- 2eggsor 3 egg whites
- 100g3.5oz cream or melted butter
- Preheat your oven to 200C (400F). Line a tray with baking paper.
- Mix almond meal, psyllium / oat bran (if using), baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Add eggs, cream (or butter) and stir until just combined.
- Divide mixture into 9 and form each into a little balls. I find using wet hands helps stop it being too messy. Place balls on your prepared tray and flatten roughly with your fingers until each is about the thickness of a slice of toast.
- Bake 'breads' for 10-15 minutes or until lovely and golden brown.
- When the 'breads' are cooked, cool on a rack.
dairy-free / paleo - use coconut yoghurt, coconut cream or your favourite dairy-free milk instead of the cream / butter.
higher fiber - add more psyllium or oat bran. You could also add ground linseeds (flax seeds) or chia seeds - or whole seeds for that matter.
larger batch - I often double the batch to make more for freezing.
Shelf Life / Storage
Keeps for 1-2 weeks in the fridge or indefinitely in the freezer. Just warm in the toaster before serving.