[dropcap style=”font-size: 60px; color: #00adef;”] O[/dropcap]ne thing I really miss since going low carb is traditional chickpea based hummus.
But they take a little longer to cook than opening a can of chickpeas.
So one day when I was craving hummus and didn’t have much time, I had the brain flash to try making something with almond meal.
So glad I did!
You can use this creamy sauce anywhere you’d normally use hummus. As a dip, as a sauce, or as a low carb alternative to mashed potato.
- 100 g (3.5oz) almond meal
- 100 g (3.5oz) water (1/2 cup less 1 tablespoon)
- 1 clove garlic peeled and smashed (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Place almond meal, 100g (3.5oz) water, garlic (if using) and 2 tablespoons lemon juice in a tall jar or jug.
- Using your stick blender puree until creamy and well combined.
- Stir in extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of salt. Taste and season with more salt or lemon juice as needed.
Almond Hummus Low Carb Variations & Substitutions
nut-free – make regular hummus instead.
Low FODMAP – skip the garlic and use macadamias instead of the almond meal. Puree in a food processor.
different nuts – you can use any nut you like, if using whole nuts you’ll need to puree in a food processor instead of using your stick blender.
more hummus vibe – add 2 tablespoon tahini, a crushed clove of garlic and a splash more water. I made this recently and it took it to a whole new level of deliciousness.
Waste Avoidance Strategy
almond meal / extra virgin olive oil – keep them in the pantry.
garlic – will keep in the pantry for months. Best if in a dark corner in a brown paper bag.
lemon – whole lemon will keep wrapped in a plastic bag in the fridge for months.
Yes! Will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 weeks or can be frozen.
Ways to use your Low Carb Hummus
- Broccoli Hummus with Spicy Sausage
- Lebanese Roast Ratatouille with Hummus
- Hummus & Chorizo
- Spiced Beef with Hummus
- Almond Crusted Fish with Hummus & Green Chilli Oil
- Spiced Salmon with Almond ‘Hummus’
Have fun in the kitchen!