the secret to a perfect frittata
[5 ingredients]

w4 baked frittata with chickpeas & rosemary chickpea & rosemary baked frittata

So I have 2 secrets to share today.

First is that over the last few weeks I’ve become obsessed with baked frittatas. You see I’ve always been a big fan of eggs in all their forms, scrambled, boiled and especially poached. And as much as I adore frittatas, I used to cook them only very rarely.

I think this was because I always found them a little tricky. Sure they turned out OK most of the time. But I found the juggling act of trying to get the whole frittata cooked through without overbrowning, or even worse, sticking on the bottom of the pan a bit too stressful.

But a couple of weeks ago I had a bit of a revelation. I was after something quick and vegetarian for dinner. There were asparagus that needed eating up along with some wonderful eggs from my cousin’s farm. This produced a vision of a beautiful asparagus tart with the spears lined up over the top. There definitely wasn’t time for pastry, and then it hit me. Why not try a baked frittata?

So I cooked the asparagus under the grill (broiler) until they were just tender. Whisked together a couple of eggs, lined my smallest springform pan and baked it all for about 15 minutes. And the results were even better than I was hoping. Beautiful to behold, wonderfully delicious AND super simple. Win. Win. Win.

The second secret, which you’ve probably already guessed is that baking is the best and simplest way to get perfect frittatas every time. And believe me I’ve been testing the method out. In addition to my lovely asparagus, there has been a breakfast chorizo frittata, a fancy brunch of frittata with potato, sausage & truffle oil, a potato & bacon and this wonderful chickpea & rosemary number. So simple and so good.

Do you have a favourite frittata flavour combination? I’d love to hear about it in the comments.

w4 baked frittata with chickpeas & rosemary

[5 ingredients]
chickpea & rosemary baked frittata

A frittata is just an Italian version of an omelette. Having a good frittata recipe in your repertoire is an incredibly useful idea. When you need a quick vegetarian protein hit, there are few things more satisfying.

I love this frittata with the fragrance of rosemary and the comfort of chickpeas. It’s all day dining really. Weekend breakfast or brunch? Just add hot buttered toast. Light lunch? Add a green salad. Simple supper? A generous glass of wine and you’re good to go.

4 eggs
large handful freshly grated parmesan cheese
1 can chickpeas (400g / 14oz), drained
2 sprigs rosemary, leaves picked

1. Preheat oven to 200C (400F) and place a baking tray on the middle shelf.

2. Line a 20cm (8in) springform pan with baking paper & grease generously with olive oil.

3. Whisk together lightly eggs and parmsean. Season.

4. Place chickpeas in the prepared tin. Pour over the egg mixture & scatter over the rosemary. Season.

5. Place on the preheated tray and bake until golden and puffy and the centre feels firm and springy, about 15 minutes.

___________________________________________________________

This goes without saying, but the only way Stonesoup reaches more people is if you share it, Tweet it, Like it on Facebook, link to me from your blog, and email it to your friends. THANKYOU. I really appreciate your help spreading the word about 5 ingredients.

Jeremy September 3, 2012 at 11:18 pm

After hunting around for some frittata recipes I found one that recommended starting the frittata on the stovetop on a low temperature – covered so the top starts cooking. Once the bottom is just about cooked pop the pan in the oven on a low broil for a few minutes. My frittata came out perfectly cooked the eggs didn’t overcook and turn brown like yours did in the picture above. I highly recommend that you try out this other technique. All the best!

jules September 15, 2012 at 3:25 am

Thanks Jeremy

Liz September 29, 2012 at 10:50 am

Just had to say that the browning of the eggs on top is perfection, not a drawback, in my view. It looks rustic and beautiful and gives the eggs a wonderful flavor. Traditional frittatas are often popped under the broiler for the last few minutes expressly to get that beautiful brown.

jules November 5, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Thanks Liz!

dawn October 5, 2012 at 1:53 am

I have to agree with liz on brown eggs – think browned eggs taste terrible, but I love the springform idea of cooking this. So, I think I will try the springform, but put some cheese on top so the egg top doesnt brown – just the cheese does.

jules November 5, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Great solution Dawn!
You might want to reduce the oven temp too

Elena October 16, 2012 at 9:24 am

One of my favorites is a Greek frittata with spinach, Greek olives, red and yellow peppers and feta. Very flavorful and colorful!

jules November 5, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Great idea Elena!
Thanks for sharing :)

Kris61 February 8, 2013 at 3:26 am

Could you post that recipe please?

Vic Torino January 18, 2013 at 9:27 am

Your frittata looks scrumptious. I just took a look at the eggs in my refrigerator. The labeling on European eggs is different from what you described, as I have now discovered. They come in sizes L, M and S, which refers to weight, and each individual egg has a stamp showing country of origin, code number of egg farm, and a code showing whether hens were organically raised, raised in cages, or raised with ground contact. The outside package shows how long they’ll keep. There doesn’t seem to be any grading of quality. Interesting!

Lora January 22, 2013 at 8:57 am

A friend suggested that leftover Cilantro Chicken (a Vietnamese dish) would be great in a frittata. Boy was she right! The main ingredients of Cilantro Chicken are cilantro and chicken, of course, and bean sprouts.

Annette January 25, 2013 at 1:56 am

I do not like by eggs that brown on top for me the texture is gross. It should be creamy on top and light golden on the bottom IMO. I use 6 large eggs per 10″ skillet. I made a proscuitto, spinach,tomato, pine nuts and parm cheese in one, and used bacon, cheddar, tomato and green onion in another. They are great for a wheat free lifestyle. I make them and eat them for breakfast, lunch or dinner. So far I have made mine on the stove top. I see endless choices with these argula, leftover veggies, zucchini.

reena February 13, 2013 at 10:50 pm

What do u mean by season? Do u use oil in this recipe?

jules February 22, 2013 at 7:09 am

Season = add salt and pepper

Tiffany @ DontWastetheCrumbs March 9, 2013 at 7:58 am

I bought a big can of chickpeas from Costco to make a large batch of hummus, but I still have LOTS leftover. This frittata looks delicious and is a great way to use up the leftover beans. It’s going on my meal plan for next week – thank you!

Julie Dawnitorasky April 6, 2013 at 12:12 am

This sounds like a great idea of a recipe. How do I make it from scratch as well? Because I would love to make this for my Grandfather for father’s day this year. And this sounds like something I rather make on my spare time.

paula April 23, 2013 at 2:22 pm

my frittata is 1 large can of salmon

cut two tomatoes and 2 red capsicums into small pieces on top of this

then 3 bunches of spinach on top

then a layer of good feta cheese

then a layer of broccoli heads only, the green tips

then on top, shaved parmesan cheese to cover the whole thing

then pour over 8 to 10 eggs with a little milk added

then into the oven, or cook half on the stove top then finish under the grill

i dont precook anything, too lazy , all in the oven at once