[dropcap style=”font-size: 60px; color: #00adef;”] I[/dropcap]’m not going to lie.
The first time I heard about ‘locavores’ – people that only eat food from a certain distance from their home, I thought it was a bit ‘out there’.
Why would you limit yourself like that?
But recently I’ve been inspired to have a change of heart.
When she first mentioned it, I started my usual reaction…
But as she explained how the purpose was just to learn more about where her ingredients come from.
And to feel more connected to her local community.
I was inspired.
And after not being able to get the idea out of my head for weeks, I’ve decided to join in for my own ‘Local Thirty’.
My ‘Local Thirty’ Plan (so far)
- 30 Days – September 2018
- Shop at the farmers market every week
- Eat food produced in my state (NSW / ACT) – it’s more than 200 miles but saves me looking at a map to calculate distances every time I come across a new producer!
- 10 ‘exception’ ingredients that can come from anywhere in the world (to be decided!)
- Write about the experience on Stonesoup
Will you join me?
It could be just for a week.
Or even for just one meal.
The point it to bring some awareness to where your food comes from. And hopefully discover some delicious surprises along the way.
I’d love to hear what you think in the comments below…
More on ‘local thirty’ month
- Want to Try Eating Local?
- 11 Ingredients I Can’t Live Without – Local Thirty Update
- 10 Surprising Lessons from Local Food Month
Have fun in the kitchen!