If you love salmon, pistachio and ginger like I do, you have to make this ASAP!
The ginger sour cream is so so delicious and makes the most refreshing sauce for simple roast salmon.
Plus there’s the beautiful crunch of pistachios.
And the fragrance of basil.
Like I said you have to make this one!
To give credit where it is due, the idea for the ginger cream and pistachio salsa combo came from Yotam Ottolenghi.
If you don’t have his ‘Simple’ book, it’s a worthy addition to your collection.
The Ottolneghi version of course has way more than 6-ingredients.
But my simple rendition is just as delicious!
Salmon with Pistachio Salsa & Ginger Cream
- 2 salmon fillets
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 150 mL (1/2 cup) sour cream
- 75 g (3oz) shelled roast pistachios
- 1 bunch basil
- 2 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
- Turn your oven to 250C. Place salmon on a baking tray. Rub with a little oil and season generously with salt. Pop in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile stir together sour cream and ginger with a pinch of salt.
- Coarsely chop pistachios and place in a small bowl. Finely chop half the basil and add to the pistachios. Stir in lemon / lime juice and 2 tablespoons olive oil (preferably not extra virgin to keep the flavour more about the pistachios and basil but if you only have extra virgin use it). Taste the salsa and season with salt as needed.
- When the timer goes, check the salmon. It should be brown on top and the flesh should look mostly opaque and cooked when you cut into it. I like it still a little pink but it’s up to you. Give it a few minutes longer if you’re not sure.
- When the salmon is cooked, divide ginger cream between two plates. Top with salmon and spoon over the salsa and the remaining basil leaves.
NET CARBS: 12g/serve
Substitutions Salmon with Pistachio Salsa & Ginger Cream
pantry-friendly – Cashew sour cream. Basil = frozen greens.
cooking for one – just halve everything. I would still eat the whole bunch of herbs myself :)
short on time / no oven – you can pan fry the fish instead.
vegetarian – the ginger cream + pistachio salsa would be amazing on grilled eggplant or zucchini. Or on a big batch of roast veg.
nut-free – replace pistachios with pepitas (pumpkin seeds) or sunflower seeds. Or for a completely different vibe use chopped olives or toasted sourdough bread crumbs.
different nuts – shelled pistachios can be expensive! Sub in any nut especially sliced almonds, whole cashews or macadamias.
more substantial (carb lovers) – warm pita bread or steamed potatoes, roast sweet potato.
more substantial (low carb) – avocado. Extra nuts. Extra sour cream.
Low FODMAP – replace pistachios with macadamias.
different herbs – mint, coriander (cilantro) or parsley can be substituted for the basil.
different protein – any fish, poached or fried eggs, chicken breast or thigh fillets. Or a roast whole chicken. Lamb cutlets. Pork Chops. Or see the vegetarian options.
more fancy / for entertaining – it doesn’t need this but if you really want to show off, sprinkle over some pomegranate seeds. And serve with a fancy salad like my Lime & Tahini Kale Salad, Broccoli with Addictive Walnut Crumbs (minus the fish), ‘Best Ever’ Tabbouleh or Spiced Roast Chicken & Cauliflower Salad with Tahini Dressing (minus the chicken).
Waste Avoidance Strategy
salmon fillets – freeze them.
grated ginger – freeze it.
sour cream – in the fridge in the packaging it was purchased in.
roast pistachios – keep it in the pantry.
basil – store in a plastic bag in the fridge for 1-2 days. For longer storage wash and spin dry the leaves in a salad spinner then wrap loosely in paper towel and place inside plastic bag. Push out most of the air and seal. Store in the fridge. For long term make pesto or basil oil.
lemon / limes – whole lemon/lime will keep wrapped in a plastic bag in the fridge for months.
No this is best when freshly made. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or can be frozen but the basil will be all wilted.
Recipes Similar to Salmon with Pistachio Salsa & Ginger Cream
- Simple Baked Salmon with Crunchy Nut Crust
- Super Easy Smoked Salmon Spinach Tart
- Pan Fried Fish with Hazelnut Butter
- Rosemary Macadamia Salsa Salmon
- Spiced Salmon with Almond Hummus
- Baked Fish + Kale Chips
Have fun in the kitchen!